Finding the right foundation for your skin type and tone is more difficult than finding Mr Right! Add to it the seasonal changes, and it becomes more complicated than rocket science to figure it all out. So we are going to start at the basics. There are water, oil and silicone based foundations and they all have their own benefits and specific functions.
So before you step out to buy a foundation, decide what base you want in the formula!
Water based foundations
- They are best suited for oily skin as they are very light on the skin and will not clog pores. You can also use them on dry skin as they provide excellent moisturisation.
- They give a very sheer effect and seem like a second skin on your face.
- They are super blendable and leave a dewy finish similar to a ‘just-had-a-facial’ kinda glow.
- They melt into your skin easily and look as close to natural as possible.
- If you are prone to acne or breakouts, this is a good option for you as it is gentle on the skin.
Oil based foundations
- With oil based foundation, the consistency will be a little thicker and will need proper application so it looks smooth and light on your skin.
- Oil based products take longer to penetrate the skin compared to water based products. So they sit on your skin for a longer period. This may make these products feel heavy and greasy on the skin.
- If you have dry skin, however, using an oil based foundation is your way to getting that healthy, dewy glow. Oil based foundations will prevent your skin from looking dull and flat.
- We suggest your stay away from oil based foundations if you have oily skin. However, the oil in the product can mix with the natural oils on your skin and this may work if you apply a thin layer.
Silicone based foundations
- These products will have silicone based ingredients which means that it will act as a built in primer.
- They are great for mattifying skin and controlling shine.
- Silicone foundations are waterproof and you will not have to worry about sweating your makeup away. These are also best suited for wedding ceremonies and other events when your makeup has to last a long while.
- They also form a fine layer on your skin and thus will prevent moisture from escaping your skin.
- These are best for offering a smooth, wrinkle-free finish to your skin.
Image credit: Pinterest