For most of us, there’s hardly anything more delectable than cheese. From the salty and tangy taste of feta to the creamy flavour of mozzarella, cheese is the ultimate solution to our food cravings. As a cheese enthusiast, don’t you wish you knew more about the cheese you devour? Here’s a lowdown on a variety of cheese.
 

Feta

Feta

Prepared from 70% sheep milk while the remaining 30% is goat milk, feta is a brined curd white cheese made by soaking freshly pressed curds in salt water, which gives it a salty taste. It’s slightly moist and a bit crumbly too.

What to prepare?

Feta works best when added to a Greek salad. It also goes well in tacos and other Mexican dishes.

Fat content:

6gms

Where to buy:

You can buy feta cheese from eBay for 600.

 

Mozzarella

Mozzarella

If you love your regular pizzas, you would agree that it’s the mozzarella cheese that does all the magic to it. This one’s a pulled-curd cheese made of cow milk. It’s prepared when the curd is heated in warm water and stretched with bare hands and eventually, rolled into balls. Fresh and oh so delicious, mozzarella is one of most loved form of cheese because if its creamy taste.

What to prepare?

Perfect when grated on a tomato and basil pizza, mozzarella also works best when it’s added to paninis and other breads.

Fat content:

6.3 gms

Where to buy:

You can but mozzarella from BigBasket for 95.

 

Cheddar

Cheddar

This one is made from cow’s milk cheese that first originated in the village of Cheddar, England. Cheddar is dry and crumbly but has a tangy flavour to it as well. As it ages, it loses its moisture making the texture more dry.  This one’s made by treating the milk so it coagulates and turns into curd. With this, it releases whey. The curd is later pressed and aged to create the cheddar.

What to prepare?

This one works best when grated on a grilled cheese sandwich or even to prepare the sinful Mac and cheese.

Fat content:

9.4gms

Where to buy:

You can buy cheddar from Nature’s Basket for 220

 

Parmigiano-Reggiano

Parmigiano-Reggiano

This one’s a hard cheese that’s only produced in Emilia-Romagna and Lombardia in Italy. It can be aged for as much as 36 months and what you get is dry, crumbly cheese that has a caramel-like flavor.

What to prepare?

It works best when grated on a pasta or a salad.

Fat content:

7.3 gms

Where to buy:

You can buy Parmigiano-Reggiano at Gourmet Food India for 765

 

Monterey jack

Monterey jack

This one tastes slightly buttery but also has a tangy taste to it. It’s aged for about a month and because of its high butterfat content, it melts beautifully. To better the taste, this one’s even mixed at times with pickled peppers, which ultimately gives rise to the Pepper Jack cheese.

What to prepare?

Since this one melts rather well, it works perfectly as a dip.

Fat content:

8.6gms

Where to buy:

You can buy Monterey Jack cheese from Nature’s Basket.