When it comes to hair conditioner, most people either don’t use it or are unaware of what it does for the hair. Of course, it conditions your hair after it has been thoroughly cleansed by a shampoo, but is that all it does? Um, no. Conditioner can be pretty beneficial for your hair in summer and all year round. Let’s just say using it is not optional.
However, many people refrain from using conditioners in summer out of fear that it’ll make the hair sticky and oily, but that’s far from the truth. The summer sun can damage your tresses, leaving them dull, lifeless and more prone to breakage. Conditioner layers the strands with a smooth coating that protects them from friction, thereby reducing breakage and lending your locks a healthy shine. But that’s not all. Here are five lesser-known facts you probably didn’t know about hair conditioners.
- 01. One-stop solution for dry and frizzy hair
- 02. Gives results in 3-5 minutes
- 03. Works even after it’s rinsed off
- 04. You can use a conditioner without shampooing
- 05. There’s one for every hair type
01. One-stop solution for dry and frizzy hair
Spending a ton of money on spa treatments and hair masks to get smooth and soft hair? You might be surprised to know that simply adding a conditioner to your hair care routine can transform the look and feel of your tresses. In fact, it is the quickest way to add smoothness to your hair.
02. Gives results in 3-5 minutes
Conditioners take not more than three minutes to work. But believe it or not, a majority of people who use conditioner don’t even know how to use it right. Here’s how to use the conditioner to get smooth and shiny hair instantly.
- Use the amount of conditioner recommended on the bottle; ideally, it should be the size of a quarter.
- Apply it only on the length and tips of your hair; avoid spreading it on your scalp.
- Squeeze excess water from your hair then apply the conditioner. Leave it on for not more than 2-3 minutes to get frizz-free, smooth and shiny locks.
03. Works even after it’s rinsed off
During summer, spending a few minutes in the sun can damage the outside covering called the cuticle of your hair and cause problems like dryness, discolouration, brittle strands and split ends. Conditioners can prevent this problem. Unlike most hair and skin products that get rinsed off thoroughly after coming in contact with water, a conditioner leaves behind a small amount of nourishing ingredient that acts as a protectant. This is why your hair feels soft and smooth even after you rinse off the conditioner from your hair.
04. You can use a conditioner without shampooing
Yes, you read that right. Frequent shampooing may be unhealthy for your tresses, but summer heat can make your scalp sweat a lot making your hair look flat. A simple solution is to skip the shampoo and apply a small amount of conditioner to the length and tips of your hair, this will add instant moisture and shine to your locks.
05. There’s one for every hair type
You pick your shampoo after reading about the problems it addresses and the ingredients it contains, but do you give the same amount of thought to your conditioners? Ideally, you should be using a conditioner from the same brand and range as your shampoo for the best results. Also, make sure you change your shampoo and conditioner duo every season. Here’s what you should be using this summer based on your hair type and concern:
Dry and damaged hair: Dove Intense Repair Conditioner
Thin and limp hair: Sunsilk Coconut Water and Aloe Vera Volume Hair Conditioner
Colour treated hair: Love Beauty & Planet Murumuru Butter and Rose Aroma Blooming Colour Conditioner