‘Phygital’ (physical + digital) beauty is a form of a contactless shopping experience that has been gaining momentum for a couple of years. It combines elements like voice, gesture and contactless navigation to facilitate virtual try-on for shoppers to sample products in a safe way. Even though the concept of ‘phygital’ beauty has been around for a while now, it is in the post-pandemic era where it has found its place.
In fact, many brands have already started putting systems in place to ease anxious shoppers from stepping into stores post-quarantine and also make their online shopping experience easy and safe.
Scope of phygital beauty
So what areas can you expect phygital beauty to have a stake in? Well, starting with shopping apps that can provide virtual try-on to help you determine lipstick or eyeshadow shades. Some apps can also pick up on as many as 64 facial points using your phone’s front camera and map how a particular makeup look will be the most flattering.
Makeup stores are installing beauty tech right on their shop floors to enrich customer experience. From iPad stations that give you a quick look decode from an MUA to face mapping screens that can find your perfect foundation shade, the scope seems to be limitless.
The shopping experience grows beyond just buying products as well. Some tech companies are developing virtual shopping assistants who will keep track of the latest offers, new launches and even live streaming sessions with industry experts to help level up your makeup game. These virtual assistants are so accurate that you can find the perfect colour to paint your lids with from even the most niche and obscure brands!
Benefits of phygital beauty:
Apart from being able to shop for beauty products from the safety of your home, there are some less-obvious yet equally crucial benefits of phygital beauty:
- With a simple subscription plan, using AI for your shopping needs can be quite economical. You will be trying out more options to land on just the right product, lengthening its usage and getting the best deal for it.
- Zero queues and wait time at stores to get your hands on the latest product or the last one put on a flash sale.
- AI can help you keep track of your shopping and spending habits all in one place. It will also speed up the process of finding the right product, without having to physically try them on.
- In-store beauty tech can give you a much better analysis of your makeup needs than a beauty expert present on the floor.
- In the post-pandemic world, phygital beauty can be your way of staying infection free and shop responsibly.