Did you know that aloe vera is the one-stop solution to all your hair problems? From fighting frizz hair, dryness and hair fall, is there anything that this plant does not do? This plant is a magic spell not only for good health and flawless skin but also for the long and luscious mane. As an ingredient passed down by the generations, aloe vera can get you rid of any skin concern that you may know of, but did you know you could use aloe vera for hair too? You’d be surprised to know that the sapling of that thorny plant that is probably sitting in your balcony as you read this, is full of hair benefits too. It has the ability to fight dandruff, hair loss, dryness and more.
Rich in more than 75 nutrients, which includes 20 minerals, 18 amino acids and 12 power vitamins; aloe vera is a boon for hair health. It is a hair conditioner, moisturiser and hair fall solution all in one. Treating your hair with aloe vera regularly will ensure healthy, fuller hair in no time. You can apply the fresh gel on your scalps or prepare an aloe vera mask along with other hair-loving ingredients to up your hair game, naturally. How do you ask?
Let us tell you all that aloe vera can do and how you can use aloe vera to get healthy hair. Read on as we list down all the benefits of aloe vera for hair and how to use it to banish your hair woes and get a healthy mane.
You can also watch a video about aloe vera benefits for hair:
- 1. Benefits of aloe vera for hair
- - Moisturises dry hair
- - Treats dandruff and itchy scalp
- - Reduces frizz
- - Cures fungal infections
- - Curbs hair fall
- - Promotes hair growth
- - Lends shine
- 2. How to make aloe vera gel at home?
- 3. FAQs about aloe vera for hair
1. Benefits of aloe vera for hair
Aloe vera is a magical gel that is not only calming for the skin, but also for the hair. These benefits all the more prove how it can transform our tresses from blah to beautiful. Next, we will tell you all the recipes that can help you manage your mane, with the help of this ingredient.
- Moisturises dry hair
Got dry and dull hair? No problem. Just get hold of some aloe vera gel. It is high in water content and acts as a humectant which gives you healthy looking hair. It not only provides hydration to the dry scalps but also locks in the moisture, leaving your hair soft and luscious, thus improving the overall health of your hair. The high content of nutrients helps nourish the hair follicles so your hair doesn’t become dry and scanty.
If you have rough, dry hair, you can use aloe vera as a nourishing ingredient in your hair oil to treat your dry scalp.
How To Use:
- Heat organic coconut oil and add some fresh aloe vera gel into it.
- Whisk it form a smooth paste and massage it gently onto your scalp and hair for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for a while.
- Then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Treats dandruff and itchy scalp
Thanks to the anti-pruritic properties and proteolytic enzymes in it, aloe vera cleanses scalp and removes dead skin cells which are the prime cause of flakiness and dandruff in your hair. It is also known to be a natural cleanser which clears dirt, product build-up and excess sebum off of the scalps. As a result, it cures the scalp itching and dandruff and gives you a cleaner, healthier scalp.
To use aloe vera as an anti-dandruff cure, you can rub the gel part of the plant on your scalp cleanse your scalps of flakiness and dandruff.
How to use:
- Cut a leaf open, remove the thorns and rub the softer pulpy part thoroughly on the scalp.
- Let it sit for a while.
- Rinse and follow up with an anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Reduces frizz
Aloe vera can help you keep those flyaways in check. It is a natural hair conditioner so if you have frizzy hair, you can use aloe vera to condition your hair and turn your frizzy, kinky hair into the smooth and soft mane. Along with its moisturising properties, it also keeps your hair cuticles closed and retains the natural oils in your scalp, which works like a charm on your frowzy tresses.
Prepare a DIY leave-in conditioner to use after every wash to tame the frizz. All you need is some freshly extracted aloe vera gel, water and a few drops of your favourite essential oil.
How to make DIY aloe vera conditioner:
- Take water and aloe vera gel in equal parts, according to the length of your hair.
- Add a drop of essential oil and mix all the ingredients with a stick.
- Transfer it in a spray bottle and spritz every time your spot frizz.
- Cures fungal infections
Aloe vera has antifungal, antibacterial and healing properties. It relieves itchiness and irritation while also healing any fungal infections in the scalp. It is effective against fungus and yeast birthing in the scalps that causes dandruff, infections and other hair issues like hair loss.
Lemon is an astringent and a cleaning agent and when combined with aloe, it helps you get rid of the fungus in scalp.
How to use:
- Take half a cup of aloe vera gel and add freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon.
- Add a few drops of coconut oil or any essential oil you like and mix it.
- Before washing your hair, massage this mixture on the scalps and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and follow up with a mild shampoo.
- Curbs hair fall
Hair fall is the worst of the hair issues. Spotting a bunch of hair strands on your couch or pillow is not a pleasant sight. Hair loss can bring you down and really mess up your hair game. Here’s what you can do—try the wondrous aloe vera for hair fall. Aloe vera gel is clinically proven to curb hair loss and reduce hair breakage. So, if you are struggling with brittle or weak hair, here is how you can include aloe vera in your hair care.
Prepare a hair mask with aloe vera gel and onion juice. Onion juice is rich in sulphur which helps with the thinning of hair and when mixed with aloe vera it strengthens hair and reduces hair fall.
How to make aloe vera gel + onion juice hair mask:
- Blend and sieve one onion to extract juice out of it.
- Add aloe vera gel and mix.
- Apply this mask on your hair and let it sit for an hour.
- Wash off with a nice smelling shampoo.
- Promotes hair growth
Use of aloe vera boosts the growth of dormant follicles and thus helps in faster regrowth of hair. Since it is power-packed with proteolytic enzyme and minerals such as copper and zinc which help stimulate hair growth, you can trust this ingredient for healthy and strong hair.
How to use:
- In a bowl, add one cup of aloe vera gel and two tablespoons of castor oil in it.
- You can also add a spoon of fenugreek powder into it for extra benefits.
- Mix the ingredients and apply it on your hair, from roots to tips.
- Let it sit overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- This pack boosts hair growth and gives you long and luscious hair.
- Repeat this on a weekly basis for desired results.
- Lends shine
You can employ aloe vera to turn your lacklustre and lifeless hair into an envious and admirable mane. The active amino acids present in aloe vera promote shine and strength which helps you achieve glossy and healthy hair you’ve always wanted. A hair pack prepared with egg yolk, olive oil and aloe vera gel is the perfect concoction for the smooth and shiny mane.
Try out this hair pack with aloe vera for hair that shines like a diamond.
How to use:
- Mix four tablespoon of aloe vera gel into three tablespoon olive oil and 1 egg yolk.
- Whisk it and spread it evenly between the hair strands and leave it to dry.
- Rinse off with cold water and wash hair with a shampoo.
Did you know?
Apart from the amazing benefits of aloe vera for hair and skin, aloe vera gel also acts as a great remedy against various health problems such as diabetes, asthma and osteoarthritis.
2. How to make aloe vera gel at home?
Want the best of aloe vera for hair? Take it straight from the natural resource, i.e. the plant. All you need is the plant and a knife and you can use it to extract pure aloe vera that can be used for hair care as well as skincare.
- Cut the fleshiest parts of the stems
- Slice from the slide and open the leaf like a book
- Take the knife and scrape off the gel-like tissue from the leaf
- You have your aloe vera gel ready
You can either use this gel directly or make it fine by blending it. Store it in an airtight jar, preferably in a refrigerator.
3. FAQs about aloe vera for hair
Q. Can aloe vera be applied directly to hair?
A. Yes, the raw gel from the plant is absolutely safe to be applied on the hair and scalp. Apply it directly to your scalp, leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Q. Is it safe to keep the gel overnight?
A. Yes, you can apply aloe vera gel to your hair and leave it overnight if you have seriously dry and frizzy hair. But we recommend that you limit leaving the gel overnight to just twice a week.
Q. Do you apply the gel on wet hair or dry?
A. It depends. If you are using aloe vera gel as a leave-conditioner, then you can apply it on wet hair after your usual conditioner. But if you are using it as a mask, then you should apply it on wet hair and wash it off after a couple of hours.
Q. Does applying aloe vera gel make it thicker?
A. Yes, aloe vera gel is an all-natural remedy that definitely makes hair grow thicker, longer and stronger with time. It conditions the hair, reduces frizz, breakage and hair loss and prevents hair fall, thereby ensuring that your hair grows thicker with regular use.