Your hair goes through a lot due to environmental and physical factors, pollution, and water quality everything just adds up to a degradation of your hair quality. That’s not just it, over time shampooing your hair, using the wrong products, colouring, heating, blow-drying makes your hair and damaged. It further results in severe hair fall, greying, hair loss, etc. Sounds scary, right? It’s only safe to take the correct measures before facing a hair apocalypse. Luckily, olive oil uses is a solution to escape from this nightmare and keep your hair healthy and gorgeous. And there are a lot of olive oil benefits for hair that you must not skip out on!
Olive Oil for Hair Benefits and More: The Basics
Olive oil is extracted from tender olives that are mostly grown in the Mediterranean region. Olive oil is used all over the world for various uses from diet to skincare and haircare. Over the years, olive oil has gained popularity for its rejuvenating and hair-strengthening properties. It is intensely moisturising, less sticky compared to other oils and has rich nutrients to give you flip-worthy hair.
Following are the olive oil benefits for hair that you can easily do, starting today!
Olive Oil for Hair Benefits
1. Moisturises your hair
Hair tends to get dry due to chemicals or weather like winter, it’s important to treat the dryness before it alarms into damage. Using your conventional conditioners must be surely doing the needful to make your hair soft and less frizzy but it also leaves behind chemical traces which is harmful to your hair in the long run. Olive oil is a perfect replacement for conditioners, it deeply moisturizes your hair making it soft, smooth and free of frizz. It also adds a healthy shine to your hair.
2. Makes hair easy to manage
It’s not a piece of news that healthy hair is comparatively easy to manage, Olive oil helps to eliminate the dryness and rough ends giving you the flexibility to manage your hair according to your style. It helps to tame even the most stubborn hair like chemically treated hair and curly hair. When your hair is nourished, it’s hardly difficult to mould it. So, now you know the drill.
3. Smoothens hair
Dry hair woes are for real and it’s not going away until you do something about it. Olive oil for hair is the best to retain your hair’s natural texture. Olive oil deeply conditions your hair, making it intensely soft and silky. Win, win!
4. Treats dandruff
The main reason behind dandruff is a dry and flaky scalp, here’s something that you can do using olive oil. Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with oil and massage your scalp before taking shower. Lemon juice helps to extract dandruff and olive oil moisturizes your scalp preventing the occurrence of dandruff. But make sure you don’t use too much lemon juice as it is acidic in nature and may harm your hair. You can do this method twice a month to see a visible result.
5. Eliminates split ends
Your hair gets damaged easily during winters, all that dryness makes your hair prone to breaking and split ends. Split ends are a major sign of damaged hair and it’s important to prevent them before matter outta your hands. Take a few drops of olive oil on your fingers and run it through damp hair, right after the shower. Using Olive oil as a serum helps to retain moisture, keeping your hair soft and manageable.
Aids in hair growth
The use and benefits of olive oil for hair growth is an old tip right from the secret book of grannies. Olive oil promotes moisturized and healthy scalp, fights infections caused due to bacteria and improves blood circulation in your scalp. Better scalp blood circulation makes your hair follicles stronger thereby helping to produce hair strands that are softer, healthy and thicker.
Olive Oil for Hair - A List of Pros and Cons
Before deciding whether to use olive oil on your hair, you should weigh the pros and cons. Here are some of the potential pros and cons:
- Olive oil is a natural and nourishing product that can improve the overall health and appearance of your hair.
- It can help to moisturize and soften dry, brittle hair, making it more manageable and less prone to breakage.
- Olive oil has antioxidant properties that may help to protect your hair from damage caused by environmental factors such as pollution and UV radiation.
- It may also help to reduce dandruff and promote a healthy scalp.
- Olive oil is heavy oil and may be too greasy for some people, particularly those with fine or oily hair.
- It can be difficult to wash out, especially if you use a lot of it. You may need to use a deep conditioning treatment or several shampoos to fully remove the oil from your hair.
- Some people may be allergic to olive oil, so it's important to do a patch test before applying it to your entire head of hair.
- Olive oil may not be suitable for all hair types. For example, it may weigh down fine hair or make curly hair too greasy.
If you need to improve the health and appearance of your hair naturally, olive oil can do the trick, but you need to consider the type and needs of your hair before using it.
FAQs about Olive Oil for Hair Benefits and More
Can olive oil be used on all hair types?
Olive oil can be used on all hair types, but it may work better for some hair types than others. For example, it may be more suitable for dry or damaged hair, as it can help to moisturize and repair the hair. However, olive oil can be heavy and greasy, so it may not be ideal for fine or oily hair. It's always a good idea to do a patch test before applying olive oil to your entire head of hair, to see how your hair reacts to it.
How do I use olive oil on my hair?
There are a few different ways you can use olive oil on your hair:
- As a pre-shampoo treatment: Massage a small amount of olive oil into your scalp and hair, then wrap your hair in a towel or shower cap and leave it on for at least 30 minutes (or overnight for extra conditioning). Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- As a leave-in conditioner: After shampooing and conditioning your hair, apply a small amount of olive oil to the ends of your hair to help moisturize and protect them.
- As a styling product: Use a small amount of olive oil to tame flyaways and add shine to your hair.
How often can I use olive oil on my hair?
This will depend on your hair type and the condition of your hair. If your hair is dry or damaged, you may benefit from using olive oil once or twice a week as a deep conditioning treatment. If your hair is oily or prone to greasiness, you may want to use it less frequently, or only use a small amount as a leave-in conditioner. It's always a good idea to start with a small amount of olive oil and gradually increase the amount as needed, rather than using a large amount from the start.