Dull and damaged hair is a common problem among people of all ages. Harmful chemicals, stress and environmental factors are all responsible for hair damage. Now we all dream of having voluminous and shiny hair that is smooth and soft to touch. Yet, in an attempt to have perfect looking hair, we end up exposing it to styling tools, hair colours and other treatments that lead to hair loss and breakage. While you can minimise the use of styling tools and reduce the frequency of colouring sessions, this damage can also be reversed with the help of a healthy diet.
The health of your skin and hair majorly depends on what you consume and use on your skin and hair. There are several vegetables and fruits for hair growth that not many people are aware of. Introducing these foods in your diet and using them topically can bring about a major change in the health of your hair. Fruits are an excellent source of fibre and vitamins, both are essential for healthy hair. Here’s a list of 7 fruits and how you can use them for hair growth.
An excellent source of potassium, bananas contain natural oils that make hair soft and manageable. They also protect the natural elasticity of hair, thereby stopping hair breakage and split ends. When applied topically banana is one of the best fruits for hair growth as it promotes hair growth and adds a healthy shine. You can have one large banana before a workout in the morning to get an instant dose of energy. Loaded with fiber and magnesium it also keeps you full for a long time.
How to use:
- Mash one ripe banana using a fork
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil to it
- Now add two spoons of honey to this mixture
- Once you have a smooth paste apply all over hair and scalp
- Leave it on for 30-40 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water
Nutrient rich papaya is an excellent fruit for hair growth. It prevents baldness and activates hair follicles to promote hair growth and strengthen hair from the roots. It also works wonders in clearing dandruff from the scalp. The leaf of papaya is also used as a conditioner to treat dull, unruly and lifeless hair.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ripe papaya with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Massage your scalp using this mixture
- Allow it to rest for about an hour
- Wash with a mild shampoo and follow up with conditioner
If you are struggling with scalp infections, strawberry should be your go-to fruit for hair growth. Infused with essential minerals such as magnesium, manganese, and copper, strawberries prevent the growth of fungal infections on the scalp, even those that are caused due to humidity. When scalp infections are treated, hair follicles become healthy and this promotes hair growth.
- Depending on your hair length, take about 5-8 strawberries and mash them
- Now add a big spoonful of mayonnaise to it
- Apply evenly all over your hair and scalp and let it stay for about 20-30 minutes
- Now wash off with cold water and shampoo
- Use this mask once a month for great results
Gooseberry or amla has been used as a treatment for hair and scalp problems since decades now and is still considered to be one of the preferable fruits for hair growth. It is also known to enrich hair pigment and is therefore one of the most commonly used ingredients in hair oils formulated for gray hair. When applied regularly this sour fruit can reverse premature hair graying and give you noticeably shiny and lustrous hair.
- You can use store bought oil such as the Indulekha Bringha Hair Oil which is infused with the goodness of amla.
- Apply the oil generously on your scalp
- Let it work overnight or at least a couple of hours before washing off
- Depending on your scalp type apply this oil twice a week or thrice a month
Brimming with vitamin C and antioxidants, oranges are an important fruit for hair growth. It improves blood circulation throughout the body including your scalp, thereby promoting hair growth. Oranges are easily available and you do not have to put in a lot of effort or time to reap benefits out of this fruit.
- Take one big or two small oranges depending on the size of your hair
- Put it in a blender along with the skin and blend until smooth
- Apply thoroughly, concentrating on the roots and scalp
- Wash off after a few hours
- Use this treatment once a month
Turns out an apple a day also keeps hair problems away. This juicy and delicious fruit contains antioxidants, vitamins, soluble fibers and a lot more that make apple one of the best fruits for hair growth. Applying the paste of green apple skin enhances hair growth, prevents hair loss and balances the pH level of the scalp and hair.
- Extract the juice of one apple with its skin intact
- Wet your hair
- Apply the juice properly all over your hair
- 20 minutes later wash off with water and a mild shampoo
- Repeat this once or twice a week for excellent results
Your hair loves guava as much as your taste buds, this delicious fruit contains vitamin A and C, both promote hair growth and curb dandruff. If you wish for healthy, problem free hair, guava is the fruit for hair growth. Applying this green fruit to your hair topically will give you the hair of your dreams. Here’s how you can use it:
- Choose a ripe guava and mash it with a fork
- Now add some honey and a few drops of lemon to it
- Mix well and apply generously all over scalp
- Repeat this twice a week to reduce dandruff and hair fall
Written by Sanya Hamdani on Oct 14, 2019
Sanya Hamdani is a skincare enthusiast and lipstick hoarder, she truly believes no two red lipsticks look exactly alike. With a Master's degree in Communication & Journalism and 5+ years of digital writing experience up her sleeve, Sanya has some of the biggest beauty experts in the country on her speed dial. When she's not swatching products or writing about the latest trends in beauty, you will find her watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S. or cooking up a storm in the kitchen.