Permanent hair straightening can be a costly and damaging affair for your hair. Whether it is temporary heat straightening or permanent chemical straightening done by professionals, no amount of precaution can save your hair from some amount of damage. Fortunately, there are numerous natural ways to straighten your hair at home. While some come in the shape and form of nourishing hair masks, and some others promise solid results that make you wonder why you even went for heat styling in the first place. One such foolproof treatment is a natural and homemade hair straightening gel made from quality ingredients that will keep all potential damage at bay.
- Ingredients needed for the homemade hair straightening gel
- How does the homemade hair straightening gel work?
- Homemade hair straightening gel - method of preparation
- How to use the homemade hair straightening gel
- Tips to remember while preparing and using the homemade hair straightening gel
- FAQs about hair straightening at home
Here’s all you need to know about the ingredients, preparation and application of a natural and homemade hair straightening gel that will remove the need for heat or chemical straightening.
Ingredients needed for the homemade hair straightening gel
A popular superfood, flaxseeds are an excellent source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, and antioxidants. The multiple benefits afforded by it extends to being used in hair care as well. It is a go-to DIY-able treatment for hydrating dry hair, fighting frizz, and boosting hair growth. They are also rich in vitamin E, which enhances hair health, boosts strength and improves elasticity.
02. Aloe vera Gel
Enriched with vitamins A, C and E, folic acid, choline and antioxidants, aloe vera is a potent hydrating agent for your hair. It also boasts of antipruritic properties and high levels of proteolytic enzymes, which make it a good treatment for keeping your scalp healthy. Pure aloe vera gel can also be used to instantly detangle stubborn tresses, condition it and tame frizz for a smooth finish and texture.
03. Castor oil
Enriched with ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids, castor oil is known for adding shine to dull and lifeless hair. It is also a natural conditioner for your scalp and hair ends alike. When used in hair masks, it can help add thickness and volume to thin and limp hair as well.
04. Lemon juice
Vitamin C-rich lemon juice is a citrusy solution to many hair issues, including dandruff and overly oily scalp. Lemon juice makes your tresses silky smooth and adds a glossy finish from root to tip.
It is necessary to keep your hair hydrated in order to maintain a frizz-free and straight texture. This is where honey comes in - with emollient and humectant properties - it helps lock in moisture and shine. It is also responsible for adding lustre in your tresses!
How does the homemade hair straightening gel work?
As seen above, this natural hair straightening gel is made of potent ingredients that help soften and smooth out frizzy and wavy hair. Flaxseed gel is a protein-rich treatment, which forms the base for this gel. Keratin, which is the primary compound present in hair, is nothing but a strand of protein. The gel almost works like a DIY hair smoothening session at home. In combination with the other ingredients, the gel is able to penetrate deep into the hair cuticles, repair damage, add nourishment and deeply condition the tresses for a straighter texture.
Homemade hair straightening gel - method of preparation
Step 01: Prepare the flaxseed gel
Take a cup of filtered water in a saucepan and add 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds to it. Let it boil for around 2-3 minutes at a low flame until the water turns into a thick, gel-like consistency. Remove from heat and use a strainer to separate the gel from the flaxseeds; pour the gel into a non-metallic container.
Step 02: Add the rest of the ingredients
Add the rest of the ingredients to the flaxseed gel - 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of honey, lemon juice from half a slice and lastly, 2 teaspoons of castor oil. Mix well so that all of the ingredients are perfectly blended together.
How to use the homemade hair straightening gel
Step 01: Part your hair into sections
To ensure that the gel covers every inch of your hair, you need to apply it in sections. Brush out all your hair to get rid of any knots and tangles. Spritz with lukewarm water in a spray bottle to open up the cuticles. Grab a small section of your hair, and secure the rest with a claw clip.
Step 02: Apply the gel
Section by section, apply the gel onto damp hair using your hands. Focus on covering hair strands properly from root to tip. Go over each strand a couple of times, massaging the tresses and your scalp gently. Once you are sure the gel has covered the whole strand, pull it straight downwards and let it fall on its own. Do this for the rest of the hair as well, making sure your sections are small. Step 03: Stew and shower Leave the gel on your hair for 30 minutes. Do not use a clip to hold and don’t put it up in a bun. The hair strands need to fall straight to work best. To wash, use cold water (as warm water will cause frizziness and re-introduce waves) and get all off the gel out of your hair, pulling your strands down to keep the straightening intact. Do not shampoo and follow up with a mild conditioner, all the while keeping the strands straight.
Use a wide-toothed comb and comb your strands downwards gently while air drying it. Do not towel dry, as it can strip away the moisture, but you can use a mild frizz-fighting serum to keep any flyaways in check. Do this every week for a month for noticeably straighter and smoother hair!
Tips to remember while preparing and using the homemade hair straightening gel
Here are some essential tips you should always keep in mind:
- Use fresh and natural aloe vera gel for better results.
- Do not boil or store the flaxseed gel in a metallic container as it can mess with the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Do not tug too hard on damp hair as it is sensitive to breakage.
- Do not overdo on the lemon juice as it can dry out your hair.
- If you are storing the gel, do it in an airtight glass jar and use it within one month.
FAQs about hair straightening at home
Q. How can I permanently straighten my hair naturally?
A. There are many ways to permanently straighten your hair at home in a natural way. Some of them are as follows:
1) Use a DIY milk and water spray on damp hair for a straighter finish.
2) Do a castor-and-coconut hot oil treatment once a week for straighter hair.
3) Treat your tresses with coconut water and lemon juice hair mask for the glossy texture.
4) Once a week, a deep conditioning session with an egg and olive oil mask will keep frizz at bay.
5) A rich banana and papaya mask can straighten out dehydrated long locks.
6) A simple aloe vera hair mask that is done before every hair wash will deeply nourish and straighten your tresses.
7) A rice water rinse that follows a shampoo and conditioning session will give you lustrous hair.
8) Similarly, an apple cider vinegar rinse will mattify your scalp and keep oiliness at bay.
Q. How long does naturally straightened hair last?
A. Natural hair straightening processes do not give you pin-straight hair but make it healthy and hydrated enough to appear straighter. With regular use, they can last as long as you want, granted you are keeping up with the hair care routine.
Q. How to get non-frizzy hair naturally?
A. Follow these simple tips for a non-frizzy finish:
- Use cold air to blow dry your tresses
- Wrap your damp hair in a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel
- Sleep on silk pillowcases
- Add frizz-fighting ingredients in your hair care
- Use essential oil blends to condition your hair.