Eye makeup enhances the most beautiful feature of our face, the eyes. Obviously, makeup also ensures that we line and define it in a way that makes our own personality stand out. Eyelids play an important part as that is the canvas where we can play with eyeshadow colours. The crease is where we play with the shadows, to give it depth. But, have you ever wondered what if we did not have a crease? Yes they exist, and they are termed monolid eyes. How do we then enhance those using makeup?
This is a tricky terrain to walk upon. And yet, monolid eyes are not uncommon. In fact, it is the most common feature of most East Asian people. East Asians do not compromise when it comes to eye makeup. In fact, they come up with some of the coolest makeup trends and brands. While the practice of using plastic tape as a means to create an artificial crease is popular, there are various tips and tricks to create numerous eye makeup looks for monolid eyes too. In this article, let’s cover it all.
Note: We will cover how you can use various eye makeup products for monolid eyes to bring out the features better.
- How to apply eyeshadow on monolid eyes?
- How to apply eyeliner on monolid eyes?
- How to apply mascara on monolid eyes?
- How to apply false eyelashes on monolid eyes?
- Monolid eyes: Can you create a crease illusion?
- How to create a monolid eyes illusion using tape?
- How to create a monolid eyes illusion using surgery?
How to apply eyeshadow on monolid eyes?
While there are many brands that are now specifically coming up with awesome makeup products for monolid eyes, it also depends on how adept you are at the art of makeup. Highlighting monolid eyes majorly depends on creating an illusion of depth in the absence of a crease. Think of it as an ombré technique. There are a few simple steps to follow if you want to do it. Let us guide you through it.
- Take the lighter shade and apply it towards the inner corner of the eye
- Take the darker shade and apply it towards the outer corner of the lid
- Now use a clean brush and blend the two
- Clean any uneven lines, if any
How to apply eyeliner on monolid eyes?
Now that you know how to ace the base on monolid eyes, it’s time to know how to apply eyeliner the best way. Again, the key is to make the eyes look larger than they are. Winged eyeliners look especially gorgeous on monolid eyes. Here’s how you can create a perfect eyeliner look.
- Prep your eyelids with a concealer and top off with powder
- Apply the eyeshadow of your choice
- Now take your pencil eyeliner or liquid eyeliner (using a brush)
- Outline your upper lash line
- Now place the eyeliner’s end at a point where you’d like the wing to end
- Draw a diagonal line in reverse from that point to the middle of the eye or wherever the line ends
- Now fill that shape
How to apply mascara on monolid eyes?
Mascara is the best way to open up your eyes. Not everyone is blessed with abundant lashes and mascara, if you choose the right one, it does a fabulous job of adding volume to the eyes. Now let us tell you how you can get your monolid eyes to flutter with these mascara tricks.
- First, get an eyelash curler and use it to create a base for your mascara
- The best way to use a curler is by pumping it up a few times.
- Warm it up a little before usage for best effects
- Now take your mascara wand and gently stroke your lashes in an upward curling motion, from the base to the top Let the first coat dry and then repeat the procedure for a second coat
- Do the same for your lower lashes, in reverse motion, from upwards to downwards The key is to separate the lashes and open up your eyes.
- Do not overdo or you may end up with panda eyes and clumpy lashes
How to apply false eyelashes on monolid eyes?
If you have really sparse lashes then even a good mascara technique won’t help. In that case, false lashes are your best bet. Here’s how you can make the most out of false eyelashes if you have monolid eyes.
- Use your eyelash curler to curl your natural lashes
- Apply mascara
- Now take out the false lashes and trim those to fit your natural lash line
- Apply a thin line of lash glue and wait for 10 seconds
- Gently roll/apply the lashes on to your lash line, starting from the outer edge
- Press gently to ensure it is fixed well
Monolid eyes: Can you create a crease illusion?
What is the main thing about monolid eyes? The fact that there is no crease. Most of the makeup tips and tricks work towards creating an illusion of crease so that the eyes appear bigger than they actually are. There are two ways in which that can be done; via surgery and via tape.
How to create a monolid eyes illusion using tape?
Eyelid tape is a popular cosmetic product in nations where monolid eyes are a common facial feature. Eyelid tape is put together using a skin-friendly adhesive that is applied to clean skin and gives a temporary illusion of having a lid. Also, this is a one-time use product that will have to be applied afresh every time you use makeup. We’d advise you to do a patch test before using this option, because it may cause allergy if you have sensitive skin.
How to create a monolid eyes illusion using surgery?
Now this one is a more permanent solution. In fact, do you know that millions of East Asians are known to undergo eyelid surgeries to give their eyes the illusion of being bigger than they are?
This procedure is known as double eyelid blepharoplasty and it is performed by plastic surgeons. This procedure is done in two steps. The first procedure involves removing muscle and tissue for crease creation. Post that, the incision is closed with the help of surgical glue or stitches. Thereafter, the incision is left to heal. The healing period varies from person to person, but usually takes a few weeks. Also, this surgery leaves a visible scar.
The second procedure involves the doctors inserting sutures through the tissue and tightening it to create a crease. Again, this is the second step in the surgery and this too will take a few weeks to heal completely. Further, in case the suture gets loose due to any reason, there may be an additional recovery period.
Ensure that if you do go for the surgical option, you choose a surgeon who is adept at the procedure. Botchy plastic surgery can be disastrous, and these are your eyes that we are talking about. Monolid eyes are pretty, but if you do want a permanent solution, make sure you do it the right way.