The ‘no-makeup’ makeup look might be the popular choice among celebrities, but the indie beauty scene is interested in pushing the boundaries in other ways. From editorials to concept shoots, makeup has nowadays morphed into art with makeup artists taking inspiration from unconventional sources. Take embellishment makeup, for instance. What started on the dance floors of the disco era, is now the go-to makeup look for MUAs who are on a quest to perfect eccentric looks.
If you’ve been spotting pearl-encrusted lids on your Insta feed as well, this is what you need to know about embellishment makeup and how to wear it.
Start with the basics
Much like Priyanka Chopra Jonas’ experiment with diamante makeup for her 2019 MET Gala look, embellished makeup can be risky. If done wrong, it can end up as one of those trends that only look good on Instagram and out of place in real life. So stick to the basics - pearl embellishments, diamante, crystals and sequins - and you can start creating looks for more than just your social media followers.
Minimal vs. OTT
Right now, there are two major themes of embellishment makeup that are popular with beauty enthusiasts: minimal glam and full-blown face art.
- For minimal looks, all you need is non-comedogenic and skin-safe makeup adhesive, shimmery embellishments and a tweezer! Minimal looks are mostly done on the eyes as a way to enhance your already done-up eyeshadow look. You can even experiment with some beading around the eyebrow or use it in place of a bindi.
- OTT looks currently belong to concept shoots and editorial features. They’re more advanced and should be done on you by a professional makeup artist who follows proper care guidelines.
How to properly remove embellished makeup
Even though makeup adhesive and face embellishments are pretty safe, there is a proper way to remove them.
- Use a small amount of adhesive in the first place and don’t tug or pull the embellishments from the skin while removing it.
- Dip a cotton pad in an oil cleanser or oil-based makeup remover, place it on the embellishment for about a minute or so and remove.
- Follow this up with a toner to get rid of any glue residue remaining on the face.
Image courtesy: Instagram