While Saffron is good for colds and coughs, stomach issues, uterine bleeding, insomnia, flatulence, and heart trouble, it is also great for the skin. It is rich in manganese, which regulates blood sugar and in turn, gives you glowing skin. A potent ingredient to add to your diet, you can combine this power spice with milk. When you do that it helps in improving digestion and appetite, keeps your skin healthy, and enhances your immunity. Drinking this every night before you go to sleep promotes sound sleep. When used topically, saffron can upgrade your skincare routine tremendously. Read on to find out more about saffron use for skin...
- 1. Benefits of adding saffron in your skincare routine
- - Adds radiance to skin
- - Brightens skin complexion
- - Treats acne and blemishes
- - Adds glow to tired skin
- 2. How to use saffron on skin
- 3. Precautions and side effects of using saffron for skin
- 4. FAQs of using saffron on skin
1. Benefits of adding saffron in your skincare routine
A plant-based compound, saffron can help add value to your existing skincare routine in many ways. Here are some benefits of saffron for your skin and how to make the most of it...
- Adds radiance to skin
Saffron when applied in the form of a face pack promotes radiant and smooth skin. Apply it once a week for good results.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder, 2 to 3 strands of saffron and 2 spoons of milk
- Wash your face and wipe it with a cloth before you apply it on your skin.
- Apply it while your face is wet.
- Massage your skin thoroughly in circulation motion.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off.
- Brightens skin complexion
Saffron helps your skin lighten naturally. Adding a few strands to milk can give you a glowing complexion. Expectant mothers are given milk and saffron as it is good for the fetus in the womb. You can even sprinkle strands of saffron in warm bath water. Let it soak for 20 minutes. Then use this water for a bath.
- Soak a few strands in milk for 2 hours.
- Apply this milk on your face and neck
- Wash it off after a few minutes
- Use this regularly
- Treats acne and blemishes
Saffron is an effective remedy for the treatment of acne, blemishes and blackheads. It will help get rid of acne and pimples. Basil leaves can eliminate the bacteria that cause acne and pimples.
- Mix 5-6 basil leaves with 10-12 strands of saffron and makes a fine paste.
- Apply this on your face.
- Wash off with cold water after 10-15 minutes.
- Adds glow to tired skin
This mask allows you to freshen up your dull skin as well as remove dark circles. It exfoliates your skin and improves blood circulation. This makes your skin smooth and glowing.
- Add 2-3 strands of saffron to one teaspoon of water.
- Keep it overnight.
- Add one teaspoon of milk, 2-3 drops of olive or coconut oil and a pinch of sugar to this water.
- Dip a piece of bread and dab it in your face.
- Allow it to dry for 15 minutes
- Then wash off
2. How to use saffron on skin
Other than the methods mentioned above, there are a few other ways to use saffron for skin, namely:
i) Honey-saffron mask
To soothe irritated skin, mix crushed strands of saffron with honey and apply all over your face. Keep the mask for 10 minutes and wash it with cold water. Let your skin air dry and follow up with a mild moisturiser.
ii) Saffron gel
To treat inflammation on the skin, use a cooling treatment of saffron gel for the face. Crush a couple of strands of saffron and mix with natural aloe vera gel and rose water. Rub a small amount into your skin until all of it is absorbed. Do not rinse.
iii) Saffron skin toner
Infuse a couple of crushed strands of saffron in witch hazel or rose water and let it soak for 1 to 2 days, in a non-metallic container. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and use as a toner whenever required.
iv) Saffron oil treatment
To use saffron essential oil as a moisturizer, mix it with carrier oils like grapeseed or almond in order to avoid overly sensitising your skin. Saffron oils can be used as a natural moisturiser for clear, glowing skin.
3. Precautions and side effects of using saffron for skin
Saffron is generally considered a pretty safe ingredient to use for skin. However, like every natural ingredient, some people might be allergic to it. Make sure to do a patch test on the inside of your arm before using any DIY saffron preparations on your face.
Saffron pollen can also cause allergic reactions in some people. Stop saffron use immediately if you notice any of the following:
- Runny nose
- Itchiness and redness in the eye
- Dry skin rashes
- Burning skin or hives
4. FAQs of using saffron on skin
1) How to know if my saffron is pure?
A. There are a couple of ways to know if your saffron is pure or not:
- Taste - it is not pure if it tastes sweet
- Aroma - pure saffron has a rich aroma which smells like a mixture of hay and honey
- Colour - pure saffron will pass the water test and not lose its colour
2) Does saffron reduce melanin?
A. Yes, saffron is known to contain the antioxidant compound - quercetin, which can help inhibit melanin production in the skin.
3) How can I make my lips pink with saffron?
A. To safely use saffron on lips, mix it with some raw milk and gently massage on your lips. This will help gently nourish and moisturise it for a pink appearance.
Written by Sukriti Rijhsinghani on Oct 27, 2018