Knowing your skin type is utmost important if you want to care for it properly. Your skin is as unique as you are and comes with its own set of characteristics. Understanding what works for your skin and what doesn’t heavily depends on what skin type you have. There are various methods and indicators of to determine your skin type and it can be quite confusing.
We spoke to Consultant Dermatologist, Dr Mrunal Shah Modi to learn how to identify skin types and lay all our doubts to rest. Here is what she had to say...
What are the general categories in skin types?
“There are 5 classifications of skin types. You can fall into the normal skin, dry skin, oily skin, combination skin or the sensitive skin category.”
How do you determine what skin type you fall under?
“This can be done easily at home. Was your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water, and make sure you do not apply any creams, moisturiser or sunscreen on your skin and leave it like that for an hour.
After 1 hour:
- If your skin feels normal, no itchiness, dryness or redness – you have normal skin
- If your skin looks shiny and oily and feels greasy – you have oily skin
- If your entire face feels dry and itchy, and feels tight – you have dry skin
- If your T-zone is oily/shiny and your cheeks feel dry – you have combination skin
- If your skin gets red, dry and feels irritated – you have sensitive skin
This is the simplest and the easiest way to find out what skin type you have. Watch the video as Dr Shah talks about how to find out what skin type you have.
Image courtesy: Pinterest