There are countless natural skincare ingredients available today, with coconut oil, turmeric and aloe vera being the superheroes of the beauty world. However, only a few are well known and widely used. One such unsung hero is multani mitti or Fuller’s earth. This mineral-rich clay has the power to keep your skin woes at bay and give you flawless skin. Packed with minerals like zinc, silica, oxides, iron, and magnesium, it works wonders for all skin types.
Easily available and at a pretty reasonable price, this potent powder can give other skincare ingredients a run for their money. It deep cleanses, moisturizes and heals skin and is possibly the best natural solution for oily skin as it soaks up excess oil and leaves skin looking matte and healthy. You can use this ingredient to target your particular skin type and skin issues by customising it to suit your needs. Just add other skin loving ingredients like rose water, milk or aloe vera to Multani mitti, whip up a face mask and apply! We rounded up our favourite recipes that address every skin issue for every skin type. Here are 5 DIY Multani mitti face packs for every skin type...
- Oily and acne-prone skin—multani mitti + sandalwood + turmeric
- Dry skin—multani mitti + yogurt
- Combination skin—multani mitti + honey + lemon
- Sensitive skin—multani mitti + milk + aloe vera
- Normal skin—multani mitti + papaya +rose water
Oily and acne-prone skin—multani mitti + sandalwood + turmeric
Oily skin comes with pesky skin issues such as large pores, acne, blackheads and whiteheads and dull skin. Multani mitti is a godsend for oily and acne-prone skin. The clay texture of this wonder ingredient acts as an absorbent and helps zap oil, dirt and impurities from your skin. Also, since it is rich in magnesium chloride, it also kills bacteria which helps reduce breakouts. Prepare a Multani mitti face pack using some other anti-acne ingredients such as sandalwood and turmeric and bid goodbye to acne, blackheads and excess oil for good.
How to make:
- In a bowl, take two tablespoons of Fuller’s earth and add one teaspoon of sandalwood powder and one teaspoon of turmeric into it.
- Mix the three ingredients well. Now, add some water as required and mix it all to make it a smooth paste.
- Apply this face pack on a clean face with the help of a facial brush and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the pack off with lukewarm water and moisturise with a lightweight moisturiser.
- Use this face pack once a week for oil-free and spotless skin.
Dry skin—multani mitti + yogurt
Flaky, dry skin got you down? Multani mitti, along with some other natural moisturizers like honey or yogurt can rescue your skin from dryness and other skin issues that follow such as rashes, redness and itchiness. It combats dryness by adding natural oils and nutrients back into your skin and nourishing it from within. Plus, it is extremely soothing and hydrating and thus helps keep your skin well-moisturized and healthy. For smoother and softer skin, make a face pack using multani mitti and yogurt. Yogurt contains rich fats which help seal the moisture in and add a healthy glow to your skin.
How to make:
- Mix half a cup of plain yogurt and two tablespoons of Multani mitti in a bowl and whisk properly so there are no lumps.
- Cleanse your face and pat dry. Apply this Multani mitti face pack evenly on your face barring the eyebrows.
- Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes before washing it off. Don’t forget to moisturise after you rinse the face pack with cold water.
- Use this once a week for moisturised and healthy skin.
- You can also add a few drops of rose water to get a nice smell and extra beauty benefits.
Combination skin—multani mitti + honey + lemon
Not all natural ingredients work for combination skin. The reason is that either they zap the oil and thus leave your dry zones drier, or they moisturise and don’t really help with the excess oil on your T-zone. Multani mitti possesses both hydrating and oil-absorbing properties and thus works well for combination skin types. While it nourishes your dry patches and moisturises it, Multani mitti also makes sure there is no excess oil on the oilier patches. Make a DIY face pack by mixing it with some honey that adds moisture and lemon which is excellent for staving off bacteria and grease from face.
How to make:
- With two tablespoons of Multani mitti, take one tablespoon of organic honey and mix well.
- Into this mixture, squeeze half a lemon and mix again to make it into a fine paste.
- Add some more honey or water if the face pack appears to be too dry to apply.
- On your cleansed face, apply this mask covering your oily and dry zones completely and let it stay on for half an hour.
- Rinse the pack off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Moisturise with a non-oily, water-based moisturiser to lock in the moisture.
- Use this face pack on a weekly basis.
Sensitive skin—multani mitti + milk + aloe vera
If you have sensitive skin, Multani mitti is your best bet. Not only does it have cooling properties that help heal sunburned and itchy skin but it also has soothing qualities that target any irritations. Plus, it is gentle and doesn’t have any adverse effects, which makes it totally safe and suitable for sensitive skin. Mix Multani mitti with other mild, natural skincare ingredients such as raw milk and aloe vera gel to make a soothing and nourishing DIY face pack and pamper your skin.
How to make:
- You need half a cup of Multani mitti, a quarter cup of milk and a tablespoon of freshly extracted aloe vera gel for this face pack.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and apply onto cleansed face.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes for its nutrients to absorb into your skin.
- Once the pack dries, rinse and moisturize.
- Do this once a week for healthy and flawless skin.
Normal skin—multani mitti + papaya +rose water
Although normal skin types don’t have to go through serious skin problems, it does need a weekly TLC to pamper session to keep it functioning at its best. Multani mitti face packs can work like magic on your skin and add glow, tighten it, improve the overall health of your skin and leave your skin visibly smooth and healthy. A face pack made with papaya pulp, Multani mitti and rose water can up your skincare game and turn your skin from drab to fab within no time.
How to make:
- Mash one cup of ripe papaya into a smooth pulp.
- Add two tablespoons of Multani mitti into it and mix well.
- Lastly, add some rose water to get the desired consistency.
- Apply the face pack on your face and let it sit for half an hour.
- Rinse with water and use your regular moisturizer.
- Repeat once or twice a week for enviably flawless skin.