There are many reasons why your skin might be feeling irritated on a particular day. Maybe you skimped on water consumption and the dryness flared up the sensitivity. Or you just got done with an exfoliating facial peel appointment and need something to calm down the redness that follows. Your skin is bound to feel irritated sometimes. And since it is impossible to avoid skin irritations altogether, you can stock up on SOS remedies for whenever your skin is feeling too sensitised by external factors. Enter: Cica creams!
Formulated with Centella Asiatica, locally known as Gotu Kola in Ayurveda, cica creams have chock-full of skin soothing and calming ingredients that can alleviate irritation. They are primarily fragrance-free, highly hydrating and extremely loved by the sensitive skin community. That’s not all. Including cica creams in your daily routine can also help heal and repair your skin.
Skin benefits of cica creams
1) It is anti-inflammatory in nature - Everyday factors like stress, poor diet, pollution and UV exposure can lead to inflammation in your body. This manifests itself as angry and stressed skin, which is worse for people already suffering from issues like rosacea and eczema. The anti-inflammatory properties of cica creams can help strengthen your skin to fight environmental aggressors.
2) It can calm down chemical burns - Went overboard with the AHA and BHA exfoliators one weekend? Chemical burns look like red patches on sensitive and thin areas of your facial skin. Cica creams can help fulfil your skin’s moisturising needs while it recovers from the burn.
3) It can be paired with potent ingredients - Quite often, skincare routines with potent ingredients retinoids or salicylic acid can interact with regular moisturisers and lead to irritation. If you are looking to pair super gentle formula while using strong ingredients, cica creams will help keep the sensitivity away.
4) It works wonders for sensitive skin type - Even the most sensitive of skin types (the ones who can even break out with a simple lotion) can use cica creams without worrying about any reactions. Yes, it is that gentle!
5) They feel luxurious on your skin - It is not just the results of a skincare product that can make you fall in love with them, it is also how they actually feel on your skin. Cica creams are created with a texture that is so soft and silky, it almost feels like massaging butter on your face, but one that is super lightweight and absorbs quickly!
FYI, there are other ways of incorporating Centella Asiatica into your skincare routine. They are also available in the form of nourishing serums and relaxing sheet masks.
Written by Sumona Bose on Mar 30, 2021
Sumona Bose is a writer, skincare junkie and a self-professed makeup connoisseur. Equipped with a Master's degree in Fashion Management and over 3 years of experience writing in the beauty and fashion space, her passion for learning new things has no bounds. Working closely with dermatologists, beauty excerpts, makeup artists and hairstylists, she brings you the best of all things beauty. From trending skincare ingredients to makeup looks that help you slay, she manages to bring something new (and vital!) to our readers every single time. Her hobbies include home workouts, watching foreign films and binge-watching makeover shows!