Who doesn’t like to look young and beautiful at all times? We do everything in our power to prevent signs of aging from showing. But for an anti-aging skincare routine to be really effective, it is very important that you start with it in your early 20s. An easy yet effective way of getting into the world of anti-aging skin care would be to try some DIY face masks.
There are some effective anti-aging face masks that you can indulge in to give your skin the nourishment it needs to make it appear healthier and more youthful in no time.
You don’t even have to spend a lot of money for these face masks. You can easily make them using ingredients that are easily available and may also be present in your kitchen at this very moment. Yes, that’s correct! Read on to find out some amazing DIY anti-aging face mask recipes using ingredients right in your kitchen.
But before we do that, it is important to throw some light on the factors that cause premature signs of aging to show on the skin.
- Common causes of ageing
- How to prevent premature signs of ageing from showing
- 01. Egg whites + honey + tea tree oil face mask
- 02. Buttermilk + oatmeal + olive oil face mask
- 03. Apple + honey + milk powder face mask
- FAQs about DIY anti-ageing face masks:
Common causes of ageing
01. Sun exposure
One of the most common causes of ageing is touted to be sun exposure. When UV rays penetrate deep into your skin, they end up causing a lot of damage to the DNA present in your skin cells, causing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Another common cause of premature ageing in women is smoking. Smoking reduces the collagen production that eventually makes your skin appear less firm and saggy. It also causes excessive dryness that leads to your skin appearing wrinkly.
03. Alcohol consumption
Drinking a lot of alcohol quite frequently dries out your skin a lot faster than you think. This makes your skin lose its elasticity and shape over time, leading to your skin ageing a lot more prematurely.
Another common factor that leads to the appearance of premature signs of ageing is stress. When your body is constantly stressed, the collagen levels in your skin deplete a lot faster, and this makes your skin appear dull and aged.
Food is one of the most underrated causes of premature ageing. The food you eat has a tremendous impact on how good or bad your skin looks and feels. Having foods rich in essential vitamins and nutrients will definitely keep your skin looking young and glowing. On the other hand, having fried, sugary and processed foods causes inflammation and shows on your skin as pimples and acne.
06. Lack of physical activity
If you are someone who leads a pretty sedentary lifestyle with almost no form of daily physical activity, chances are that your skin will show signs of ageing a lot faster than someone who leads an active lifestyle. This is because the lack of exercise causes oxidative stress and DNA damage, all of which lead to premature ageing of the skin.
How to prevent premature signs of ageing from showing
- Increase your daily water intake
- Eat nutrition-rich food
- Indulge in some form of physical exercise
- Apply sunscreen each and every day
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep
- Quit smoking
- Follow a proper skincare routine
Along with the above-mentioned points to prevent your skin from aging, it is really important to pamper your skin with DIY anti-aging face masks. This will provide your skin with a lot of necessary nutrients that are super effective when it comes to combating common causes of aging, and keep your skin looking beautiful and youthful at all times. Read on to find out what those DIY anti-aging face masks are!
01. Egg whites + honey + tea tree oil face mask
How to make:
- In a mixing bowl, separate the egg white from the yolk and add to it a teaspoon of honey along with four to five drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this mixture to a thoroughly cleansed face, keep it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off the water.
Benefits: The reason why this DIY anti-aging face mask is effective is because the egg whites have natural astringent properties that help tighten your skin, reduce the appearance of pores and make your skin appear firmer. The honey helps provide an instant moisturizing effect and the tea tree oil acts as a natural antiseptic to keep acne at bay.
02. Buttermilk + oatmeal + olive oil face mask
How to make:
- Mix together half a cup of fresh buttermilk, two tablespoons of oatmeal and heat the mixture for about a minute.
- Once the mixture is slightly warm, add two teaspoons of olive oil and let it completely cool down.
- Apply this mixture to your face and keep it on for about 10-20 minutes.
- Wash with cold water and follow up with your favourite moisturizer.
Benefits: Buttermilk nourishes dry and damaged skin, while oatmeal helps buff away dead skin cells and provides an anti-ageing effect. Lastly, olive oil is the perfect way to add a boost of moisture and make it look thoroughly conditioned.
03. Apple + honey + milk powder face mask
How to make:
- To make this anti-aging face mask, you need to take a few slices of apples and boil them in water until soft.
- Take them out and mash them to a smooth paste.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and milk powder and mix it all together.
- Apply this mask all over your face and neck area and allow it to sit for about 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse with water and follow up with a moisturizer.
Benefits: Apple is a rich source of skin-loving nutrients that deliver your skin with much-need essential vitamins and minerals. It helps keep your skin smooth and youthful. When you add milk powder and honey, you get an added touch of moisture that is very important if you want your skin to look young and glowing.
FAQs about DIY anti-ageing face masks:
01. What are the best natural anti-aging skincare ingredients?
A. There are a lot of ingredients in the kitchen that you can add to your DIY anti-aging face mask. Oatmeal, olive oil, honey, bentonite clay, Fuller’s earth and milk powder are some common ingredients that offer incredible anti-ageing benefits and make your skin smooth and wrinkle-free with regular use.
02. What foods are rich in collagen?
A. Including a lot of protein-rich foods such as meat, eggs, seafood and green leafy vegetables, as they help in boosting the collagen levels in your body. This helps keep your skin looking firm and glowing.
03. Do face masks help tighten skin?
A. Yes, definitely! Face masks are an amazing way to provide your skin with the essential nutrients in a faster and more concentrated format than your other skincare products. When you add some commonly used ingredients that have potent anti-ageing properties, it definitely helps to reduce the signs of ageing and give your skin youthfulness.
Written by Urvi Dalal on Jul 22, 2020
Writer, avid reader and hardcore beauty enthusiast is the best way to describe Urvi Dalal. With over 5 years of writing experience in the beauty industry, you can trust her to have the latest skin, hair and makeup tidbits on her fingertips. In her time working as a beauty writer, she has had the opportunity to interact and work closely with a string of dermatologists, makeup artists and hairstylists. All that knowledge exchange, coupled with her flair and love for writing make it possible for her to bring you some authentic yet fun beauty content. When Urvi isn’t working, you’d usually catch her curled up with a big, fat book, drinking a cup of tea or practising her makeup skills; there is no in-between!