A charcoal mask is the latest buzz in the world of beauty. These masks are known for detoxifying your skin and giving it a smoother and brighter appearance. With the rise in pollution levels and other environmental aggressors, pore-clogging has become a major skin concern. The impurities clog your pores and which results in a dull complexion. And when applied topically, charcoal masks help in removing the dirt, from the pores and give your skin a thorough cleansing. These masks also control the oil secretion in your skin, making it perfect for skin prone to blackheads and acne. Below is a quick low down on why this mask is a must-have in your beauty regime, its benefits and how to use it...
- 1. Benefits of a charcoal mask
- 2. How does a charcoal mask really work?
- 3. DIY charcoal mask recipes
- 4. How to use charcoal mask
- 5. FAQs about charcoal mask benefits
1. Benefits of a charcoal mask
As seen above, charcoal masks have multiple benefits for your skin. Let's take a look at them in detail:
01) Brightens the skin
A charcoal mask rids the skin of impurities and dust settled on it. Once, you wash off the mask, you will notice how bright your skin looks. So, use this mask to give your skin an instant boost.
02) Purifies the pores
Charcoal face masks have an excellent penetrating action to reach deep into your pores to clear any built-up dirt, oil or other common pollutants from it. This deep purification ensures that your pores stay healthy and tight.
03) Slough off dead skin cells
In addition to brightening your skin, a charcoal mask also exfoliates it, thanks to its coarse texture. If effective eliminates dead skin cells, leaving your skin looking bright and beautiful!
04) Mattifies oily skin
A charcoal mask balances the oil secretion on the skin. So, it’s perfect if you have oily, blemish-prone skin. This mask is also beneficial in the hot summer months when the oil secretion on your face is more than usual.
05) Treats Acne
Charcoal face masks can rid your skin of acne-causing elements like excess sebum, clogged pores and dead skin buildup. It can also help to minimise the size of active pimples and dry them out.
2. How does a charcoal mask really work?
Activated charcoal draws bacteria, toxins, dirt and oil from the skin. If it’s a peel-off mask, it also works as an excellent exfoliator, ridding the skin of dead cells. The end result is skin that is clean and clear. When used as a powder, charcoal masks can reach deep in your pores and suck out impurities with them.
3. DIY charcoal mask recipes
Now that you know the many wondrous benefits of charcoal masks, here are some easy-to-do DIY recipes:
- Combine 1 teaspoon charcoal powder, 1 teaspoon bentonite clay, a pinch of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a bowl. Let the consistency be on the thicker side. Apply this mask on your face with a clean brush and leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse your face and apply moisturiser. Apply this mask at least once a week to get the desired results.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal, 2 tablespoons of liquid soap, 1 tablespoon of almond oil, 2 tablespoons of white rice flour, 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Mix everything together to form a smooth and creamy paste. Massage your face with the paste gently for a minute and leave on for another 10 minutes. Wash with cool water and pat dry.
- Combine 1-2 tablespoons of activated charcoal powder with 1 egg white and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix well to create a fluffy mixture and apply all over your face. Leave for 10 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
4. How to use charcoal mask
To get the most out of a charcoal mask, follow these steps:
- Before applying the mask, wash your face with a mild cleanser to get rid of any surface pollutants and sweat.
- Apply an even layer of the mask, leaving out your eye area and lips. Make sure to keep the application pressure gentle in order to avoid pulling on your skin.
- Wait till the mask completely dries off. Do not keep for too long as charcoal masks can dry out your skin if left on for longer than required.
- Rinse off your charcoal mask thoroughly, make sure to not leave any residue behind.
- Always follow up with a moisturiser for a plump and glowing complexion.
5. FAQs about charcoal mask benefits
1) Are there any risks with using a charcoal mask?
A. Generally, charcoal masks are considered pretty safe to use. But we recommend doing a patch test before using it, to make sure you are not allergic to it. Also, overdoing charcoal masks have been known to result in some skin dryness, redness, and sensitivity. So, make sure to follow the instructions for using a charcoal mask precisely.
2) Is charcoal masks good for dry skin?
A. If you have dry skin, make sure to DIY your charcoal mask by adding hydrating ingredients, like vitamin E oil, in the mixture. This will ensure that your mask is not overly drying your face.
3) Does charcoal mask remove facial hair?
A. Yes, peel-off charcoal masks are capable of sticking to fine hair on your face and removing it from the roots. However, it is not recommended to use peel-off charcoal masks for hair removal alone.