Imagine this: It’s Diwali night. You’re done with the puja and now it’s all about partying and playing cards with your friends and family. You whip out your phone to update the ‘gram and see your eye makeup smudged and lipstick ruined from all the eating and drinking - sounds like a probable reality, doesn’t it? Well, not when you have us by your side!
To make sure your makeup remains in place throughout the festivities, we roped in Anupma Katyal, National Creative Director - Makeup at Lakmé Salon to share her expert tips on how to keep makeup from smudging. Read on as she doles out her best makeup tips and don’t forget to take note, ladies!
BB: What causes makeup to smudge in the first place?
Anupma: Makeup can smudge due to many reasons like sweating or using the wrong foundation. For instance, an oil-based foundation if used on oily skin can be a disaster. It’s important to seal the base well with a powder to avoid smudging. You can also try the baking technique to be sure of hassle-free makeup.
BB: Face masks are mandatory, even during the festive season. How can we keep our makeup from smudging under the mask during Diwali?
Anupma: The makeup will transfer on the mask, it’s inevitable, but we can definitely minimise it. Here are a few tricks and tips to keep in mind.
- Get your base correct: Choose your foundation well and instead of going in for the glass glow finish (a glossy look), opt for a matte finish. Also, ensure you’re using a good primer, as it will make the base last longer.
- Reverse foundation technique: In the recent past, the reverse technique to apply foundation is also becoming popular. This is when you first apply the primer followed by the blush, contour and lastly the foundation. Then, blend it all into the skin and seal the makeup with the powder.
- Keep things matte: Avoid using cream-based products and instead, use powder or baking to ensure the least amount of transfer onto your mask. Additionally, do not use gloss or extra shiny lipstick. Instead, go for a matte finish and brush some powder on the lips to prevent it from transferring onto your mask.
BB: Smudged eye makeup can be embarrassing. Can you share some tips that will help us avoid this makeup faux pas?
Anupma: You need to prep well for makeup to last long and make it smudge-proof. Use a good eye primer and then apply the eye base. Don’t allow it to crease and dab it well with the powder. Choose a powder-based eyeshadow. In the case of a cream base, dab the powder shadow on it.
The most common problem faced by women is that kajal tends to smudge. The best way to avoid this is by applying a powder shadow of black or brown hue on the water line to seal the kajal. It sure does the trick!
BB: What are some important tips to keep in mind when applying makeup to make it smudge-proof?
Anupma: It’s always essential to prep your skin well for long-lasting makeup.
- After applying makeup, seal the makeup with powder using a powder puff. The more you seal the base, the longer it will last.
- You can also use a fix-it spray to keep your makeup looking fresh.
- It’s best not to opt for glossy lips, as they will smudge under the mask.
- So, keep the look fresh and matte and you wouldn’t have to worry about smudging.