Instagram’s latest bold and bright makeup trend is breaking the age barrier and how! Celebrities and makeup artists are no longer interested in the “rules” set in place for how to glam up at a certain age. Especially with details like a bright eyeshadow, a pop-colour lippie or even coloured kohls. Trust us, you are never too old to wear any of these fun makeup looks. No longer are you supposed to just linger on the neutral side of the palette, or live off of nude, matte lipsticks that satisfy society’s boring rules of how you should look at 40.
TikTok and Instagram together have taken on the challenge of breaking makeup stereotypes in older women. We first noticed this when the ever-glamorous Madhuri Dixit Nene started posting some of her latest looks to the ‘gram, and there was an obvious shift in the vibe…
Image courtesy: @billymanik81
The stunner has so clearly moved on from barely visible bronzers and simple brown shadows to a bit more colour on her face. We love the sheer wash of warmth on her lids and lips, with beautiful, happy and bright lippies replacing subtle mauve and caramel lipsticks. This is indeed a good way to experiment with more colour in your makeup, especially when you have been wearing minimal looks for years now. We spotted Madhuri sporting a pastel shadow with a lehenga and if that doesn’t spell euphoria for you, we don’t know what will!
Swiping on a bright lipstick isn’t the only way you can wear bold colour with your makeup, here are a few tips to get your long overdue colour fix -
- Treat your eyelids to colours that complement your skin tone - the trendy peachy and coral eyeshadows look so good on wheatish and honey-toned skin. As for deeper skin tones, you can layer on some bright berry tones, with dark red and pink also making for good contenders for your eye makeup look. Try the Lakmé Absolute Spotlight Eyeshadow Palette - Berry Martini for starters and see where the palette takes you!
- Coloured mascaras make for a sneaky little detail that only the most ardent of makeup lovers will notice instantly. The Lakmé Eyeconic Blue Mascara looks so pretty with black and brown eyes, plus it is a good starting point for anyone who is not familiar with colorful lashes yet.
- A touch of neon on the inner corner of your eyelid can make a difference to your makeup look. You can also use a colourful highlighter to add a subtle dash of shimmer to your lids.
- Experiment with bright lippies that will play off the colour on your eyes. If you do not want to steer too far, start with shades of red, ruby and maroons and pick formulas that offer a lot of intense colour fill. Some of our favourite shades of red come from the Lakmé 9 to 5 Primer + Matte Lip Color Range, so do check that out!
- Coloured kohls can be a good way to either tightline the waterline with a bright shade, or smudge it on the top lid to create a coloured and smokey effect.
Main image courtesy: @stylebyami