Unfortunately for most of us, hair care is an on-going struggle. From taming your frizz to treating dry hair, it is a constant battle waged. But these issues can easily be resolved, just by putting in a little bit of extra effort. Haircare doesn’t necessarily have to burn a hole in your pockets. You can easily achieve smooth and frizz-free hair, with only a little care and patience. You can certainly save yourself those expensive trips to the salon, and instead opt for more efficient and affordable home remedies.
The outer layer of your hair keeps it smooth and lustrous. Any damage done to the outer layer will make your hair look dull and dry. Instead of buying an endless amount of expensive products for your hair, you could instead follow these steps to get smooth, shiny and soft hair, right from the comfort of your own home:
- Hot oil therapy
- Aloe Vera hair mask
- Eggs hair mask
- Avocado hair mask
- Apple cider vinegar hair mask
- Beer hair mask
- Yoghurt hair mask
Hot oil therapy
Right from the very beginning, we’ve been reminded time and again that hot oil treatment is excellent for your hair. Natural oils, such as coconut, castor, almond, and olive oil, work towards adding shine to your hair, as well as to restore moisture to dry and brittle hair. Hot oil treatment is an age-old technique that will help you nourish your hair, promote its healthy growth, repair spilt ends, avoid hair breakage, and prevent any further damage to your hair.
The most common and popular fix used by people is coconut oil. It contains vitamins and important fatty acids which aid in the nourishment of your scalp and help to remove sebum build-up from the hair follicles. Since coconut oil functions through deep conditioning, this leave-in treatment will certainly work wonders for your hair. Although, you could try switching things up with different oils, whichever suits you the best.
Follow these steps for hot oil therapy:
- Take about two to three tablespoons of coconut oil or any other oil and heat it slightly, ensuring that it doesn’t get scalding hot.
- Then, gently massage your head from the roots up, in circular motions and work through the entire length of your hair.
- Let the oil sit in for a few hours, preferably overnight. You can use a showerhead cap in the meanwhile so that it doesn’t stain your bedding.
- Rinse off the oil with lukewarm water. Opt for a sulphate-free shampoo and follow it up with a conditioner.
- You could also add a few curry leaves before warming it up.
- Repeat the procedure as you would without the curry leaves. The leaves provide extra nourishment to the hair.
You could try below incorporating these hair mask routines as well, to step up your hair care game and to achieve smooth and shiny hair:
Aloe Vera hair mask
Aloe Vera contains enzymes that help repair the damaged skin cells on your scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner, making your hair much smoother than before. Aloe Vera consists of keratin, which is the type of protein your hair is made up of. It helps stimulate the process of hair growth, significantly reduces dandruff and gives you really smooth hair.
How to prepare an aloe vera hair mask:
- Start off by slicing the aloe vera leaf and extracting about two to three tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Then, place the contents in a bowl and add some water.
- Stir the mixture well. Apply this mixture evenly onto your hair. You can always leave it on overnight and rinse it off with cold water in the morning.
- Repeat this process about three to four times a week for more effective results.
Eggs hair mask
Eggs are an excellent cure for dry and lifeless hair. They provide your hair with all the nourishment it needs, since they have an abundance of proteins. They are also loaded with vitamin A, D and E, those vitamins which are responsible for maintaining and improving your hair’s shine and texture.
The egg yolk is high in fat, which results in softer hair. It also contains certain fatty acids that help repair damaged hair by providing it with the necessary moisture. If you follow this treatment regularly, this hair mask should be able to help strengthen your hair to a great extent.
How to prepare an egg hair mask:
- Start off with an egg and about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and honey. Whisk these ingredients together in a bowl, till you get a smooth mixture.
- Cover your scalp with it and work through the entire length of your hair. Then, let this paste sit on for approximately 20-25 minutes. You can always put on a showerhead cap while you wait so that the mixture doesn’t stain anything.
- Later, rinse your hair with cold water, using a sulphate-free shampoo. You can follow it up with a conditioner as well.
- Repeat this process as frequently as possible throughout the week.
Avocado hair mask
This tasty fruit not only makes for a mean salad ingredient, but is extremely effective in helping get smoother hair as well. Avocado deeply nourishes your hair and helps restore life into the damaged regions. The mono-saturated fat present in this fruit is the very reason that avocado makes for an excellent hair mask ingredient.
How to prepare an avocado hair mask:
- Start off by mashing one ripe avocado and add a banana (preferably sliced) to it. Then, add one tablespoon of almond oil and stir this mixture well.
- Apply this paste onto your scalp and spread it all over your hair. Ensure that you cover your head with a shower cap once you’ve applied it though.
- Later, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water, followed by shampoo treatment.
- You can repeat this process up to two times a week.
Apple cider vinegar hair mask
This product can be easily sourced from your nearest supermarket. This ingredient has proven to be extremely helpful in maintaining the pH level of your scalp, resulting in shiny and soft hair. It plays a major role in clarifying your hair, and without the use of harsh chemicals.
How to make an apple cider vinegar hair mask:
- Add water to the apple cider vinegar, and stir well.
- Once you’ve shampooed and conditioned your hair, you can evenly apply this mixture, starting from the roots and working through the entire length of your hair.
- Let it sit overnight before rinsing it off.
- Repeat this process about once a week.
Beer hair mask
Beer is amazing liquor, for an evening drink as well as for your hair. The malt and hops present in beer are rich in proteins, helping rejuvenate damaged hair. Beer also contains the vitamin B that is responsible for your hair’s lustre.
How to make a beer hair mask:
- Start off by applying flat beer to your hair, right from the scalp to the tips.
- Then, gently massage your scalp for a while. Allow your hair to be soaked in beer for about 10 minutes.
- Later, rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Choose a mild sulphate shampoo to wash your hair, followed by a conditioner.
- Repeat this process about twice a week for more effective results.
Yoghurt hair mask
Yoghurt contains essential vitamins that are important to the health of your hair. It also helps repair damaged hair. The lactic acid present in yoghurt helps hydrate your hair and also helps strip away the dead skin cells. Yoghurt offers the nourishment required to strengthen your hair, adding lustre to it in the process as well.
How to make yoghurt hair mask:
- Take a little yoghurt and dd 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, few strawberries and few eggs to this mix.
- Now, blend them together into a mixture until it achieves a smooth consistency.
- Apply the mask onto your hair. Let this mixture sit on for about 15 minutes. You could cover your hair with a shower cap in the meanwhile.
- Then, wash your hair with lukewarm water, followed by shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this process about once or twice a week.