Facial exercises have long been debated about...but, do they really work? If yes, how? While not all of them work, for instance, pulling on your cheeks won't give you a facelift, some do. Here are nine simple facial exercises you can do right now for tighter skin and sculpted features!
- 1. Brow raiser
- 2. Wink n’ Hold
- 3. Cheekbone lift
- 4. Eye toning
- 5. Cheek plumping
- 6. Cheek squeeze
- 7. Forehead fine-tuning
- 8. Double chin workout
- 9. Facial yoga
1. Brow raiser
The brow raiser helps perk up your eyebrows and keep them where they belong. Aging and constant wincing can make the brows droop, but with a few simple steps, you can get them to behave and stay raised. Taut eyebrows are a desirable trait with most women, and this is how you can get it.
- Stick your index and middle finger together
- Place your fingers just above the brows and push the skin down
- Make your brows go up and down; all the while adding tension with your fingers pushing down
- Repeat it for six sets with 10 eyebrow raises and drops per set
2. Wink n’ Hold
The wink and hold technique helps fight lines and wrinkles in your under-eye region.
- Don't worry if you can't wink since this needs you to just close your eyes partially!
- Hold the partial wink for one second.
- Make sure you are contacting all the muscles around the winking eye. Release slowly.
- Repeat this 20-25 times in a single set. Don't overdo it, just one a day is sufficient.
3. Cheekbone lift
I get jealous about two things that men have that I don’t. Their naturally long lashes (why does a guy need them, anyway?) and sky-high cheekbones! These babies can cut through any awkward conversations, they are that sharp! You too can get a sharper definition on your cheekbones with these simple steps!
- Join your index and middle finger and place them over each cheekbone.
- Lift up the skin gently until it's a little tight.
- Open your mouth to form an oval 'O'; there will be resistance in your cheek muscles.
- Hold the lift for five seconds.
- Repeat these steps for 10-15 sets for defined cheekbones.
4. Eye toning
Your droopy eyelids got you feeling conscious, but you don’t want to go the botox way? This set of exercises will help out with that. It also works well on crow's feet, eye bags, and puffiness. Follow these simple steps to tone your eye area gently.
- Place your index and middle fingers in a 'V' formation on your eyes. Press and hold down both middle fingers together at the inner corner of the eyebrows. With your index fingers, apply pressure on the outer edges of your eyebrows.
- Look up at the ceiling and raise the lower eyelids upwards to make a strong squint; relax.
- Do this move at least six more times and end the set by squeezing your eyes shut tight for 10 seconds.
5. Cheek plumping
Supple and plump skin gives us the youthful charm that we had in our teens! You can plump up your skin by raising the folds around your nose. It's a simple technique that involves a lot of smiling like a maniac, so we suggest doing it alone!
- Start by smiling as widely as you can. Press down on the folds between your nose and lips with your fingertips.
- Lift up the cheek muscles while pressing down to create resistance. Make sure you keep your fingertips firm to avoid overstressing your hand.
- Do this for two to three minutes while taking well spaced-put breaks. This will help strengthen your cheek muscles!
6. Cheek squeeze
Duck faces are the stuff of silly selfies, but fish faces are for pure beauty! If you wish to sculpt your face to bring out your features, this is the way to do it. Flabby cheeks disappear, and what's left is a slimmer looking face; here's how you can do it!
- Start by tilting your head all the way to the back. Push your chin forward, making sure not to strain your neck too much.
- Suck your cheeks in and make a fish face, make sure not to bite down on your lips or tongue.
- Do this for 10-15 sets with five seconds of 'fish face' in each round.
7. Forehead fine-tuning
Stressing out more than necessary has got you wincing at your screen? Forehead is one the first places where wrinkles appear, but a single exercise can take care of them right away. The best thing about this exercise is that you can do it anywhere without making weird faces. With barely any steps, you can do this facial exercise by making a surprised face. Acting surprised can smoothen out fine lines and wrinkles from your forehead. Keep your forehead frozen, widen your eyes as much as possible, and repeat 8-10 times in a day, and you are done!
8. Double chin workout
You can blame a muscle called platysma for giving you that not-so-cute double chin in pictures. This muscle connects your jawline to your shoulders, and its loosening leads sagging skin on the neck. These quick facial exercises will make sure they are back to being tight. These will help tone your neck, chin, and jaw area:
- Stand or sit straight, pick a position that is most comfortable for you. Look up at the ceiling and tilt your head all the way to the back.
- Holding your head still, touch your tongue to the roof of the mouth. There should be a slight prickly pain in your neck due to the contraction of muscles.
- Let go slowly and bring your chin down to its normal position. Repeat this move in sets of five, with each set lasting about 25-30 seconds of tongue hold.
9. Facial yoga
Facial yoga works on firming the muscles of your face and neck. It also improves blood circulation and tones facial muscles. All it takes is a simple breathing exercise, and you are sorted. Take a deep breath through your mouth while maintaining a straight posture. Hold the breath in your cheeks by puffing them out. Exhale and repeat 8-10 times.