Every other day we come across amazing skincare ingredients that promise to help us achieve our skincare goals. We recently stumbled upon an anti-ageing gem, candelilla wax. It is derived from the leaves of a small shrub native to northern Mexico and the southwestern United States. It was originally used to make candles which is where it got its name candelilla, meaning little candle. But do you know why it is getting the applause it is in the skincare arena? We got you all the deets about this unsung hero for ageing and nourishing the skin in the best and most cruelty-free way possible! Read on to know more.
- A vegan alternative to Beeswax
- Candelilla wax benefits for the skin
- Why is candelilla wax added to cosmetics?
A vegan alternative to Beeswax
Even though they have many of the same beneficial properties, the main difference is that candelilla is a vegan wax, whereas beeswax is considered to be an animal byproduct. Candelilla wax is also harder than beeswax and typically melts faster under high temperatures.
Candelilla wax is hypoallergenic, which makes it ideal for people with pollen, bees or honey allergy. Candelilla wax is used for formulating animal-free, cruelty-free products that naturally shield the skin from harmful environmental stressors.
Candelilla wax benefits for the skin
- Fights premature ageing: Looking to turn the clock back on your premature ageing, wrinkles and fine lines? Then candelilla wax is the ingredient to look for in your skincare products. It contains a rich amount of vitamin A, which promotes cell regeneration. This is why candelilla wax is touted for refining signs of premature ageing like wrinkles and age spots. It is also helpful in considerably decreasing stretch marks.
- Non-comedogenic: Candelilla wax is non-comedogenic, which means it won't clog pores, making it safe to use on oily skin types.
- Nourishing: It is an excellent humectant meaning it works wonders for moisturising dry skin and is incredibly soothing. It gives a glossy finish to the skin, which makes it a popular ingredient choice in moisturisers, body lotions and various other skincare products.
Why is candelilla wax added to cosmetics?
The benefits of candelilla wax are incredible as its texturing property, as well as its ability to create a barrier between skin and harsh environment makes it a valuable ingredient in cosmetic products.
Applying cosmetic products made of candelilla wax makes the product easily absorbent into the skin and prevents loss of moisture.
Candelilla wax also adds lubricity and gloss to the skin with its creamy consistency. This wax makes itself is an ideal ingredient for smooth applications in hair removal creams and several skincare products, including pore treatments.
Written by Anyuktha Nallani on Jan 07, 2022
As a skincare and makeup hoarder who watched The Devil Wears Prada a hundred times, this seems like the perfect place to be! A writer with a degree in fashion, I love everything beauty, fashion, art, and literature. When I’m not working, you will find me talking about energy cleansing, binge reading books and binge watching Kdramas while trying to select the right shade of lipstick to go grocery shopping!