We at team BeBeautiful will leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of good skin. We constantly search for new ingredients that leave your skin looking smooth, flawless and plump. The world of skincare is now obsessed with AHAs and prebiotics and moisturisers and serums which contain these skincare heroes are gaining popularity.
So what is the deal with AHAs and prebiotics, anyway? Let’s find out!
- What are AHAs and what are their skin benefits?
- What are prebiotics and what are their skin benefits?
What are AHAs and what are their skin benefits?
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are naturally occurring compounds that are most commonly found in milk and plant extracts.
- Some common forms are lactic acid (found in milk), citric acid (found in citrus fruits) and glycolic acid (found in sugar cane, pineapple and some other citrus fruits).
- AHAs are mild exfoliating agents that help brighten your skin.
- AHAs kick start the collagen production in your skin and make it look more supple and elastic.
- AHAs reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and reduce signs of hyperpigmentation.
What are prebiotics and what are their skin benefits?
- prebiotics are the ‘friendly’ kind of bacteria that are found in fermented food products like yoghurt and apple cider vinegar. Consuming foods that have prebiotics help maintain the health and balance of your gut.
- Applying skincare products that have prebiotics in them helps maintain your skin’s natural barrier. They help reinforce your skin and increase its natural defence against bad bacteria, pollution and free radical damage.
- prebiotics help soothe inflammation and redness on the skin.
- prebiotics help draw moisture to the skin, and hence keep it moisturised. This makes the skin look plump and retains its elasticity.
- prebiotics found in milk products help reduce the appearance of fine lines, tightens pores and brightens dull skin.
Look for products that have these two ingredients in them for better looking, healthy and balanced skin.