In a keto diet, you are supposed to consume less of carbohydrates so that your body produces more of ketones from within. The idea is to break down the fats in the liver. This can only be done by starving the body of carbohydrates. This is an extremely effective method for weight loss and also has physical and mental benefits to it. A keto diet helps in controlling blood sugar levels, increases mental focus and energy, normalizes hunger, and also helps in controlling the effects of epilepsy, while reducing your reliance on medicine.
What to eat in a Keto Diet?
- Leafy Greens
- Above ground vegetables
- High Fat Dairy
- Nuts and seeds
- Avocado and berries
- Coconut Oil
- High-fat salad dressing
- Saturated Fats
Here are a few recipes of the dishes that you can have, when on keto diet.
Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb breakfast sausages
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups of broccoli
- Grease the skillet over medium-high heat and cook the minced garlic for one minute. Add the sausages and cook for about 10 minutes, breaking them with a spatula and cooking them until brown.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Blanch the broccoli for about 5-7 minutes, until they are crisp and tender. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, half of the cheddar cheese, parsley, sea salt and black pepper together.
- Grease the bottom of the container (oven safe). Arrange the sausages and the broccoli evenly at the bottom and pour the egg mixture over it. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes until the egg is set and the cheese has melted.
Baked Jerk Chicken
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 ½ tsp Truvia brown sugar for low carb or 2 tsp coconut sugar for paleo
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried minced garlic
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp to ½ tsp cayenne pepper, mild or a bit more spicy
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions (optional)
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, or breasts (with the bone in and the skin on)
- Take a large bowl and put all the ingredients that have been marinated in it. Mix them thoroughly.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss them around so that they are evenly coat on all sides.
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture rest for some time. In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the marinated chicken in a baking pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or till you see that the chicken is nearly done. Turn the knob to broiler and broil the chicken to brown skin for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a slice of lemon.