If you’ve been throwing the rice water away while rinsing or cooking, you might want to save it the next time. As it turns out, other than being the staple food of almost half of the world’s population, the water from cooked or rinsed rice is a great beautifying ingredient.
The Yao ethnic women from the village of Huangluo in China have made it to the Guinness Book of World Records for the “world’s longest hair village.” And guess what; they believe that using fermented rice water to wash their hair makes it stronger and delays greying.
Due to its cooling and soothing effects on skin, rice water is also used by Asian women to calm inflamed skin and keep skin issues at bay. If you’re convinced already, here’s how you can prepare fermented rice water for your hair and skin (recipes below).
- What is fermented rice water?
- How to make fermented rice water?
- Fermented rice water hair rinse
- Fermented rice water for age spots
What is fermented rice water?
Rice water is the starchy white fluid that rises to the top of the pot while cooking or washing rice. However, the process of fermentation enhances the benefits of rice water. To ferment the water simply let it rest until it turns slightly sour.
How to make fermented rice water?
- Take a cup of rice (you can use any type), rinse and discard the water.
- Now soak the rice in two cups of distilled water for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Strain out the water and transfer it to a clean bottle and set aside overnight.
- In the morning, it should have turned sour and started to ferment. The fermentation process depends on the room temperature. The warmer the temperature the faster the process.
- You may or may not boil the water as per your preference.
Fermented rice water hair rinse
The low pH value and high nutrients in fermented rice water make it an excellent conditioner. It makes hair stronger and healthier from the roots as well as adds a healthy shine.
How to use: Post shampooing your hair, mix a cup of fermented rice water with equal parts of plain water and a few drops of essential oil and pour it on your hair. Gently massage your hair and scalp and let it stay for four to five minutes before thoroughly rinsing it off.
Fermented rice water for age spots
Brimming with vitamin E and ferulic acid, fermented rice water is a very effective antioxidant. It can prevent signs of ageing as well as reduce age spots with regular use.
How to use: Mix half a teaspoon of fermented rice water with two drops of almond oil and massage it in upward circular motions onto your face and neck. Leave it on overnight. You’ll see a visible difference in a couple of weeks!