Glowing skin is always in! However, most often we forget to give our skin extra love and care. And that’s when it reacts in the form of acne, blemishes, pigmentation, blackheads, premature ageing and a lot more! *phew*
To prevent your skin from flaking, looking dull and dehydrated, it’s important to follow a skin care routine religiously as well as abide by a few skin care rules that are sure to leave your skin looking healthy and youthful. Here are some healthy skin tips that’ll help you flaunt flawless skin all day every day...
From causing severe sunburns to skin cancer, the harsh sun rays can wreak havoc on your skin. We cannot stress enough on the fact that regardless of the season, you need to slather enough sunscreen before heading out. Summer is not just about sipping on coolers and sporting easy-breezy summer-y dresses; it’s also about uncalled-for skin breakouts, annoying tan and terrible sun damage.
To maintain the health of your skin, we suggest you get your hands on the Ponds Sun Protect Non-Oily Sunscreen SPF 50 which promises to protect your skin against both UVA and UVB rays. While UVA rays penetrate the skin deeply and cause premature ageing, it is UVB rays that lead to physical sunburns. Therefore, it is important to use sunscreens that say “UVA/UVB protection” or “broad-spectrum” on their packaging. It’s ideal to use a sunscreen with SPF 30 atleast as those are capable of blocking 97 percent of the harmful UV rays. All those with fairer skin tones or sensitive skin might want to use sunscreens with SPF 50 for added protection. Apply it all over your face, hands and legs as well as areas that are exposed to the sun, every day before stepping out. Doing so on a regular basis can save your skin a lot of trauma. Sun protection is the best skin tip for healthy skin.
Treat your skin gently
While it’s important to cleanse your skin daily, over-washing can strip your skin of its natural oils, causing dryness and rough patches. Precisely why, you need to handle your skin with care. Be gentle while treating your skin to cleansers, exfoliators and scrubs. Here are a few healthy skin tips to make your skin glow all day long:
- Say no to hot water: Even though hot water feels good on the skin, it does more harm than good. Yes, you read that right! Hot water and really long showers tend to remove oils from your skin. Therefore, keep your showers short and your bath water lukewarm
- Avoid harsh cleansers: Since you’re washing your face atleast twice a day, it’s important that you use a mild cleanser. Strong soaps or cleansers will only leave your skin looking drier. We suggest you try the Simple Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash that thoroughly washes away impurities and leaves face clean and fresh
- Shave carefully: Another beneficial tip for healthy skin is to shave your skin with the utmost care and in the right way. Firstly, always apply a shaving cream or lotion before shaving to protect the skin. Secondly, use a clean, sharp razor to avoid any infection or bumps. And lastly, shave in the direction the hair grows, not against it
- Moisturise: While it’s important to moisturise your skin every few hours, it’s equally important to use a moisturiser that best suits your skin type. Always keep a smaller bottle handy to carry around with you, such as the Ponds Light Moisturiser Non-Oily Fresh Feel which is lightweight, has a non-oily formula and leaves skin soft and supple
Remove makeup before bed
Let’s admit it! There are days when you are too lazy to do anything but hit the bed after a long and tiring day. But, before you decide to sleep with your makeup on, here’s a reminder that doing so can worsen your skin, thereby leading to problems such as acne, breakouts and premature ageing to name a few. Cleansing your face thoroughly every night is the key to healthy and nourished skin. On days when you’re bored, you can simply reach out for the Simple Kind To Skin Micellar Cleansing Water that’ll not just remove your makeup but also, cleanse your skin. Here’s what happens when you go to bed with makeup:
- Clogged pores: Your skin is exposed to so many beauty products on a daily basis, and ingredients like silicone can wreak havoc by blocking the pores. Blocked pores can cause your skin to get bumpy and if you have acne-prone skin, it can even lead to breakouts
- Premature ageing: Did you know? By sleeping with makeup on, you’re speeding up the ageing process yourself. Not removing makeup before bed can lead to a collagen breakdown, thus causing your skin to age faster
- Weak eyelashes: While we spend hours doing our eye makeup, it is important that you spare 10-15 minutes getting rid of that makeup at the end of the day. Sleeping with eyeliner and mascara can cause your lashes to break off easily. Use a gentle makeup remover to get rid of all the eye makeup
Did you know? Cleansing-toning-moisturising is not enough to keep your skin looking fresh and hydrated. If dull and flaky skin is bringing your beauty game down, then there are chances that you still haven’t upgraded your skin care routine to include exfoliation. Exfoliating on a regular basis helps remove dead skin cells and helps you get rid of impurities. So, ladies, the answer to healthy skin is nothing but inculcating exfoliation in your daily skin care regimen.
Whether you have dry, oily or combination skin, it is best to use a gentle scrub and exfoliate not more than thrice a week. We suggest you get your hands on the St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Face Scrub that is made with 100% natural exfoliants. However, remember that over-exfoliating can create tiny cracks in the skin barrier that can lead to more loss of hydration. The best time to exfoliate is in the mornings because your skin renews itself in the night. Slough away dead skin by scrubbing gently in the shower. It’s important that you exfoliate clean skin. Therefore, before reaching for the scrub, wash your face with a mild and gentle cleanser.
Prepping your skin by exfoliating before applying any product on your face is also one of the healthiest skin tips, especially for all those who want to prevent their skin from flaking after applying foundation. If you want your makeup to glide on smoothly and your skin to look radiant, exfoliating before is the answer! For gentle yet thorough cleansing, your fingertips make for the best tool. Your fingers provide a light massage during your cleanse which in turn stimulates blood circulation. Remember to not rub your skin vigorously while exfoliating.
Relax. Rejuvenate. Refresh. Renew—here’s everything that monthly facials do to your skin. While following a regular skin care routine does wonder to your skin, it’s always a great idea to go one step further to improve the health and texture of your skin. From rejuvenating and detoxifying your skin to treating blemishes and eliminating blackheads and whiteheads, there are more benefits of regular facials than you can imagine! Here’s why monthly facials are the key to healthy skin:
- Reduce signs of ageing: As you age, the collagen production diminishes and your skin tends to lose its elasticity. To tighten your skin and to stimulate the production of collagen, it’s best to treat your skin to monthly facials. The creams, face packs, peels and lotions used during a facial are all enriched with botanical extracts that in turn reduce signs of ageing, thereby leaving your skin looking healthy and glowing
- Brighten skin tone: Environmental factors such as overexposure to the sun, pollution as well as hormonal imbalance and ageing may cause too much melanin production, resulting in dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Facials even out those dark spots and leave your skin looking brighter
- Get rid of blackheads and whiteheads: Facials help you get rid of blackheads and whiteheads that form on the nose and chin area. A mix of oil and dead skin cells resting in pores cause blackheads and whiteheads. With the help of an extraction tool used during a facial treatment, you can get rid of those annoying blackheads without hurting your skin