Stress spares no one, we are a generation that is constantly affected by stress and anxiety. Stress shows signs on our body in the form of dark circles, hair fall, etc but did you know that it can also be the reason behind your skin woes? That’s exactly what we’re going to investigate today. The largest organ in our body can show signs of stress in a number of ways which includes acne, psoriasis and even eczema flare-ups. Read on to find out more...
When you’re stressed you don’t take good care of your body and lower the intake of water. Not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration and make your skin look like crepe paper. Stress can also lead to higher consumption of caffeine which worsens the dehydration in your body.
If you have acne prone skin chances are stress can cause your acne to flare up. Stress releases cortisol which directly affects the other hormones in your body causing breakouts on your face and body. It also messes up the balance of good and bad bacteria in your gut, further making your skin conditions worse.
Looking older than your actual age is one thing no one ever wants. However, if you’re constantly stressed you make certain facial expressions such as furrowing your brows, pursing your lips, etc. These can lead to fine lines and evident wrinkles in these areas.
Worsen existing skin woes
A healthy immune system is the key to clear and flawless skin. When skin produces cortisol in excess due to stress it directly weakens your immune system causing existing skin problems to flare up. In certain conditions it also makes your skin to produce excess oil thereby blocking the pores and causing breakouts.
6 ways to can ease the stress:
- Exercise regularly, it is good for your skin as well as the rest of your body.
- Manage your stress by meditating, doing yoga or just taking some long breaths every few hours.
- Take a walk after a meal or early morning and think of all the things you’re grateful for.
- Drink enough water and sleep for at least 8 hours every night.
- Do things that make you happy – read a book, cook or dance.
- Take care of your skin even when you’re stressed, a CTM routine is something you should follow every day.