Pimples have a tendency to arrive just before an important event. Your best friend’s wedding, a meeting with clients or a date are just a few occasions when these uninvited guests show up. While there is no way to completely avoid them, did you know you can stop them from bringing their whole family (read: a breakout) along? If you notice that a pimple is on its way in the form of a tiny bump or redness, here;s how you can prevent it from becoming a full-blown breakout.
- 01. Take cleansing seriously
- 02. Ice your face
- 03. Avoid harsh scrubs
- 04. Avoid touching your face
- 05. Moisturise to prevent excess sebum
01. Take cleansing seriously
Other than stress, hygiene is one of the main reasons for pimples. Oil, dirt and clogged pores are a recipe for disaster but it can still be controlled by taking cleansing seriously. Since you have an oily skin type, double cleansing should be a part of your daily skincare routine.
- Start by removing dirt, makeup and oil using micellar water specially formulated for oily skin. Infused with thyme, zinc and witch hazel, the Simple Daily Skin Detox Oil Be Gone Micellar Water removes excess oil, dirt and other impurities to give you clearer skin.
- Next, use a gentle yet detoxifying face wash to cleanse. The Simple Daily Skin Detox Purifying Facial Wash will remove deep set dirt and oil from inside the pores preventing the pimple-causing bacteria from spreading. What’s more, it does not contain salicylic acid like most cleansers for oily skin do, so your skin won’t feel dry, tight and inflamed after cleansing.
02. Ice your face
If the bump is still under the skin and a little painful, ice it. Wrap a piece of ice in a soft clean cloth and apply it to the pimple. This constricts the blood vessels around and can reduce inflammation, redness and pain associated with the pimple.
03. Avoid harsh scrubs
As a general rule of thumb, avoid using scrubs when you have an acne flare up. But if it’s just one pimple you can still exfoliate. However, make sure to be gentle and use a scrub that focuses on removing excess oil and impurities. The Simple Simple Daily Skin Detox Clear Pore Scrub is blended with thyme, zinc and witch hazel, that cleanses deep down to help eliminate pore-clogging dirt, oil and make-up and leaves skin purified.
04. Avoid touching your face
You want to get rid of the pimple ASAP but touching it frequently is not going to help. In fact, it will only make matters worse. The dirt from your fingers could aggravate the pimple and lead to a breakout or flare up. So adopt a hands-off approach!
05. Moisturise to prevent excess sebum
A misconception among girls with an oily skin type is that they don’t need a moisturiser because their skin is already producing excess oil. That’s not true. In fact, one of the reasons why your skin may be producing excess oil is because you don’t apply moisturiser. The skin has to work overtime to produce extra oil to curb the dryness. So make sure to use a moisturiser especially formulated for oily, blemish-prone skin. A gentle formula like the Simple Ultra Light Liquid Moisturiser will keep your skin hydrated for a long time without making it greasy.