Summer may not be everyone’s favourite season of the year, but it is definitely the time to take a holiday, unwind, relax, go to the beach and soak in the sun. If you’ve recently been on one with your friends or significant other, you will know what we are trying to say. At this point, you may have also noticed that your skin looks two shades darker because it is tanned. Your skin has naturally healing properties, which means the tan will eventually fade off, but if you are in a hurry or have an important day coming, we understand the urgency. You came here looking to remove sun tan from your face overnight and we will give you just that. Don’t worry, these won’t involve the use of any expensive products or chemicals, just simple, good old home remedies.
Even after applying sunscreen, your skin can get tanned after spending a long time out in the sun. As important as it is to apply sunscreen, you also need to reapply it every few hours to keep the effectiveness intact. Failing this, there’s a high chance your skin may get tanned. Since you can't go back in time to correct your mistake, let's move forward and take a look at how to remove sun tan from the face overnight.
- How to remove sun tan overnight
- 1. Gram flour and turmeric mask
- 2. Potato juice
- 3. Honey and papaya mask
- 4. Milk and rice flour mask
- 5. Saffron and milk mask
- 6. Sandalwood and rose water mask
- 7. Fullers earth and aloe vera gel mask
- FAQs about sun tan
How to remove sun tan overnight
The best way to treat sun tan is by allowing it to heal on its own, but that can take a while. These natural and effective home remedies will help get rid of sun tan from the face and return that healthy glow, read on to find out how.
1. Gram flour and turmeric mask
Did you know a lot of women do not use face wash and rely on gram flour and turmeric to cleanse their face? We are not suggesting you do that, as it may not be as deep cleansing as your face wash. However, the gentle exfoliating properties of gram flour can effectively lighten suntan. Adding turmeric will brighten your skin and accelerate the healing process. Want to know how to remove sun tan from your face overnight using these two ingredients? Scroll down.
How to make:
- Take a cup of gram flour and add a teaspoon of turmeric to it, pour milk or water to make a paste.
- Apply it on your face, body or any other area that is tanned.
- Let it dry off completely, then remove it with lukewarm water.
2. Potato juice
Potato juice is a natural bleaching agent that corrects skin tone and makes it brighter. It is often recommended for getting rid of dark circles, but if you want to know how to remove sun tan from your face overnight using this home remedy then read below.
How to make:
- Take one raw potato and extract its juice, you can grate it and then squeeze it in a cloth to get the juice.
- Apply it on the tanned areas and leave on for 10-12 minutes then wash off for glowing skin.
3. Honey and papaya mask
Honey has skin-soothing and nourishing properties, applying it to your skin will offer relief from dryness and irritation. Papaya on the other hand, contains bleaching, exfoliating, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing, and skin lightening properties. This makes it the perfect ingredient to remove sun tan from the face overnight.
How to make:
- Take half a cup of papaya and mash it using a fork.
- Add a teaspoon or two of raw honey to it and mix well.
- Apply the mixture all over the tanned area and allow it to dry.
- Wash off with lukewarm water to see the difference in your skin.
4. Milk and rice flour mask
Milk contains lactic acid that mildly peels the layer of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin and reveals the brighter-looking skin underneath. Rice flour on the other hand, acts as a whitening agent to correct uneven skin tone. Here’s how to remove sun tan from the face overnight using these two ingredients.
How to make:
- In a bowl, take 2 tablespoons of rice flour, add cold milk to it, pour enough to form a thick paste.
- Apply generously all over the face and other areas that are tanned and leave it to dry.
- Keep it on your face for at least 30 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
5. Saffron and milk mask
Saffron may be an expensive ingredient, but it is really good for the skin. Loaded with vitamins and antioxidants, it treats many skin problems as well as brightens the complexion. As mentioned before, milk contains lactic acid that mildly exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells. To make a saffron and milk face pack that will remove sun tan from the face overnight, scroll down.
How to make:
- Take half a cup of milk and add 4-5 strands of saffron to it.
- Then let it soak for at least 30 minutes, this will ensure the milk absorbs all the goodness from the saffron.
- Apply the milk on your face and neck and leave it on for an hour or two.
- Wash off with cold water to remove stubborn tan.
6. Sandalwood and rose water mask
Sandalwood is soothing and cooling in nature, applying it onto the skin heals skin problems like acne and breakouts. It also helps get rid of dead skin cells to reveal brighter skin underneath. Rosewater too has skin-soothing and nourishing properties and using it with sandalwood will heal tanned skin faster.
How to make:
- Take two tablespoons of sandalwood powder in a bowl and add enough rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply a generous layer on your face with a brush or clean fingers.
- Allow it to dry off completely for about 20-30 minutes, then wash off with cold water.
7. Fullers earth and aloe vera gel mask
Aloe vera gel contains skin repairing and calming properties. Applying it on your sunburn or rashes can heal the skin faster. Fuller's earth or ‘multani mitti’ contains anti-inflammatory properties that remove dirt, bacteria and other impurities that could lead to infection. Here’s how to remove sun tan from the face overnight using Fuller's earth and aloe vera gel.
How to make:
- In a bowl, take two tablespoons of multani mitti, to this add 2-3 tablespoons of freshly extracted aloe vera gel.
- Transfer to a grinder and blend it to form a thick paste.
- Apply this mixture on the tanned areas of your body with a brush.
- Allow it to stay on for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
FAQs about sun tan
Q. Is sun tan permanent?
A. In some countries, getting a tanned complexion is considered healthy. In fact, they visit salons to get artificially tanned. But you should know that it's not permanent, both natural and artificial tans will fade off eventually and your skin will regain its natural colour. The process is slow and can be accelerated by using natural remedies at home or by visiting a dermatologist for treatments.
Q. How long does a sunburn take to heal?
A. Not wearing sunscreen can be disastrous for your skin, you can end up with sunburned skin, especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun. Sunburns can be mild or moderate. A mild sunburn takes about 3-5 days to heal. The redness and sensitivity should calm down within 5 days and there will be some peeling as the skin heals. Moderate sunburns take longer, maybe upto a week to heal and sometimes you may also have to visit a dermatologist.
Q. How can I prevent my skin from getting tanned?
A. Sun tans can make your complexion look dull, so if you wish to save yourself from the trouble of getting tanned, then here’s how to prevent it. Avoid stepping out in the sun without protection, wear a broad spectrum sunscreen and carry an umbrella to protect your skin. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours for maximum protection. Use DIY masks and scrubs regularly to get rid of suntans at home.