Seeing those first signs of ageing on the skin always makes you wish you could cheat time, doesn’t it? Most of us start getting treatments done and change our beauty regimen when we see signs of ageing. But what if there was a natural way to battle it? Yes, you can yoga your way out those pesky wrinkles. Yoga for the face is a trend that is catching up fast and for good reason.
Many celebrated facial exercise practitioners talk about this fast-growing fad. Simply put, facial yoga or yoga for the face is an exercise for the facial muscles that stretch the skin to combat ageing and its effects. The benefits of yoga for the face are plenty, including, but not limited to, tighter neck, cheeks and toned skin around the eyes.
At the end of it all, yoga for the face results in clear, tight and radiant skin. In this article, we will tell you all about facial yoga, how it helps and a few exercises to get you started. Get on this fitness ride that will totally tune your facial muscles and give you the gorgeousness you deserve!
- What are the benefits of yoga for the face?
- 1. Carve out the jawline
- 2. Plump up the cheeks
- 3. Smoothen that forehead
- 4. Firm that face
- 5. Get that eye sparkle back
- 6. Lift that temple
- 7. Tone that neck
- FAQs on yoga for face
What are the benefits of yoga for the face?
Yoga for the body is common. But yoga for the face is not that popular. However, it is a great option. A strong and healthy body contributes to toned skin and taut facial muscles too. Yoga for the face makes your skin healthy and radiant.
Facial yoga is beneficial in a lot of ways. For instance, did you know that it stimulates and strengthens facial muscles? Strong facial muscles slow the signs of ageing and make way for a fresh, beautiful and rejuvenated face. It also aids better circulation, gets the blood moving, thus adding colour to the skin.
A word of caution though. While yoga for the face has innumerable benefits, it is not meant to replace your usual face treatments for severe ageing and other concerns. It is just a healthy habit that will keep you glowing and gorgeous for a longer time. Let’s take a look at some really good facial yoga exercises that will help you get just that.
1. Carve out the jawline
Are you someone who is not that comfortable with the chubbiness around the chin and jaw area? If you want to make it look sharp and sexy, a jaw stretch is what you are looking for. This will not only evade your expenses of jaw fillers and neck tightening in the future, but also firm up your double chin.
- Pucker up your lips till your cheek stretch can be felt
- Turn your head to one side
- Lift your head up on a 45-degree angle
- Stretch your neck for around 3 seconds (do not stretch beyond your limit)
- Repeat for the other side
2. Plump up the cheeks
Do you want to fill out your cheeks without having to use fillers? Then this is your best and safest bet. It will ensure that your cheeks get a fuller and more lifted appearance with time.
- Make sure your lips are tightly closed
- Suck your cheeks in
- Stay still in this position for around 10 seconds
- Repeat the procedure five times.
3. Smoothen that forehead
Well, this one’s definitely going to save some heavy bucks. Because the alternative is botox, and we all know how expensive that is going to be. This exercise uses acupressure as a solution to combat forehead lines and wrinkles. Again, this is no miracle treatment, but it surely delays the signs of ageing considerably.
- Create two fists with your hands and place it on your forehead
- Apply pressure by using your index and middle finger
- Gradually move the fists to either side, maintaining the pressure
- Finish off the movement at your temples, gradually increasing the pressure
- Do it four times at least
4. Firm that face
Face fillers and facelifts are expensive. While ageing the natural way is beautiful, many of us want to perk up our youthfulness using external treatments. We can give you an alternative in the form of an easy yoga trick. Just follow it and you will be sorted.
- Use your mouth to form an ‘O’
- Fold your lips over your teeth
- Now smile, using your mouth corners
- Apply firm pressure on your cheeks with your fingers
- Then pull your chin away from your face after you close your eyes
- Be in the same position for around 20 seconds
- Repeat thrice
5. Get that eye sparkle back
Eyes are another part of the face that starts showing signs of ageing. With crow’s feet and under-eye bags making an appearance, it often takes away the facial appeal, thus pushing you to resort to more expensive options such as eye surgery or botox. We have a yoga alternative for this too.
- Form ‘V’ sign with your fingers
- Place both the ‘V’s on your eyebrows, edge to edge
- Squint by raising your lower eyelids
- Relax a bit and do this six times
- Wrap it up by squeezing your eyes shut for at least 10 seconds
6. Lift that temple
After your eyes, your temple is another place that shows the signs of ageing. The reason is that it is the most expressive part of the face. You frown using your forehead muscles, and sometimes you are not even aware of it. Thus, with age, wrinkles start appearing in the area, leading you to look out for options such as an eyebrow lift.
- Lift an arm over your head
- Now place your fingertips in a manner that your ring finger rests on the eyebrow corner
- Press down, and then first lift and then drop your head towards your shoulder
- Be in the same pose for a few seconds
- Repeat the exercise for the other side.
7. Tone that neck
After the forehead and eyes, your neck is where most of the wrinkles appear. This is also because it is one of the most flexible parts of your body and the most used as well. Botox is the way to go if you wish to keep it looking young for long. But, here is an exercise that can help you go on without any external and expensive anti-ageing treatment.
- Place the tips of your fingers on your collar bones
- Then pucker your lips and tilt your head backwards in a light manner
- Now, with your head in the same position, just your lower lip out and again place the tips of your fingers on the collar bones
- Slowly bring your head down to your chest
- Be in the same position and take four deep breaths
FAQs on yoga for face
Q. Does yoga for face work?
A. Do you know that there is a Northwestern study that proved that around half an hour’s worth of facial yoga, if done regularly for over 20 weeks can make you look around 3 years younger? While facial yoga may not be a replacement for heavy facial treatments, it is the most affordable and natural way to ensure you age gracefully, with minimum external invasions on your skin. So yes, it works as it should, but you will have to be patient to see the results.
Q. How long does it take for facial yoga to reflect results?
A. Honestly, it depends on person to person. But in the most common scenarios, results are visible after two to three weeks of regular exercising. However, discipline and patience are to be maintained if you want long-term results.