Of course, we cannot say that we have dieted all our lives or worked out for hours everyday. Actually, we have to confess that there have been several days of utter indulgence (food wise) and workouts have been skipped due to laziness. Overall we have tried our best to stay healthy without going overboard.
We recently got to know of a type of diet plan called Paleolithic diet (it’s been around for a bit and has quite a loyal following) that suggests that we eat the way our ancestors ate (our ancestors from the Paleolithic age). This means that our meals would mainly consist of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats (good luck finding that one!), free-range eggs, vegetables, fruit, fungi, nuts and roots. Even though this particular diet did not appeal to us, we discovered a couple of healthy, easy-to-make desserts that taste awesome and can be made quite easily (low on sugar, low on carbs). So we thought we’d share one of our favorites with you.
Raw Chocolate Almond Butter Cheesecake Bars Recipe
For the filling
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup of almond butter
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of raw cashews (it’s best to soak the cashews overnight in a bowl of water. This helps make the filling creamier)
For the crust
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups of almonds
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of honey
Melt together a little coconut oil, honey and cocoa powder until it has a sauce consistency and drizzle it over the top before freezing.
- Place all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor. Process until everything can easily stick together. If your crust does not seem to be sticky, add a little more coconut oil and then continue to process.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and evenly distribute the crust ingredients along the bottom. Press down firmly with a spoon so that the crust sticks and holds together.
- Place all the ingredients for the filling inside your food processor and process until you have a smooth cheesecake filling consistency.
- Layer the filling on top of the crust.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the top.
- Place in the freezer for about an hour or until the cheesecake is set.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and continue to stay healthy! Till later….
little red tote
To read more, visit www.littleredtote.com
Want to ask Fleur and Nethra your questions on beauty, fashion, style and health? They’d like to hear from you, so send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org