These toxins build up over time because of which you can gain weight, get headaches, dull skin and bloating. However, thanks to your liver and kidneys some of these toxins remove the bad toxins naturally. Detox diets therefore recommends the use of detoxing aids or methods. These methods can be herbal supplements such as milk thistle, pre and probiotics or even juicing.
- Milk thistle improves the workings of the liver and increases the detoxing functions of your body.
- Pro and prebiotics aims at improving gut and immunity. They also help to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer by protecting the damage by various toxins.
- Juicing is one of the most popular detoxing aids. Juicing diet focuses on fruit and vegetables juices in your diet. It increases the intake of fruits and vegetables which in turn ensures intake of nutrients such as protein, fats and carbohydrates that a body needs every day.
- How long/often do you need to follow detox diet?
- How to do a detox diet?
- Benefits of detox diet
- Disadvantages of detox diet
- How to choose the detox diet that works for you!
- Types of detox diet
- Preparing for detox diet
- What to eat during the detox diet?
- What to avoid during the detox diet?
- Keep yourself hydrated
- How to deal with digestive issues?
- Plan your post-detox diet
- Repeating detox diet
How long/often do you need to follow detox diet?
If you have a balanced diet, well then you don’t need this diet. But if you want to go on a detox diet, then let it be short-term, if it is longer it may lead to low levels of important nutrients in your body.
How to do a detox diet?
There are many ways to follow a detox diet, it ranges from total starvation fasts and juicing to simpler food modifications. Here are some points for detox diet:
- Fasting for 1-3 days (Don’t follow this unless you have discussed it with your doctor or nutritionist)
- Drinking fresh fruit and vegetable juices, smoothies, water and tea
- Drinking only some liquids like salted water or lemon juice
- Eliminating foods high in heavy metals, contaminants and allergens
- Taking supplements or herbs
- Exercising regularly
- Complete elimination of alcohol, coffee, cigarettes and refined sugar
Benefits of detox diet
There are many benefits of detox diet, some including:
- Eliminates toxins from body fat by losing excessive fat
- Exercising and sweating regularly
- Eating whole, nutritious and healthy food
- Limits stress and gives good sleep
- Fewer headaches
- Skin glows
- Feel less bloated
Disadvantages of detox diet
If there are advantages, then there will also be disadvantages of this diet
- Feel tired
- Missing calcium
- If done for a long time then it can cause low levels of vitamins, minerals, protein, fats or carbohydrates
How to choose the detox diet that works for you!
- Detox diets are low on calories: look for a diet that ensure enough intake of calories throughout the day. Intake of enough calories will ensure proper functioning of the body.
- Detox diets that promises big results: avoid programs that promises quick weight loss or a cure for a disease. These diets may require you to buy expensive pills or products.
- Detox diets that eliminates food groups: follow the diet that includes a variety of nutrients-dense whole foods rather than relying just on juices and supplements.
Types of detox diet
Not the same detox will work for everyone but planning your diet is important. Here are some types of detox diet that you can try
- SHRED power cleanse: for this you need to commit 2 weeks. This one is full of whole, nutrients, fibre-rich food, common sense approach to eating and exercising program. This is not exactly designed to be a weight loss program, but it can help you shed some weight while you are on it.
- 3-day detox diet: if you can’t dedicate 2 weeks. Then go for 3-day detox, it’s simple and there is no fancy food required.
Preparing for detox diet
The avoid the detox reactions such as headache and nausea, try to stop consuming caffeine, sugar, processed fats and artificial sweeteners in the days before the detox diet. If you are not ready to give up caffeine completely switch to green tea, white tea or matcha.
While preparing for the diet, make sure you plan your meals for the days. Carefully map out the eating plan for a well-prepared detox diet. Try to get rid of the foods or beverages that might tempt you during the diet.
If you are working, then it’s better that you start the diet on Friday. This allows you to avoid the exhaustion of the office and makes your body adapt the diet with ease.
What to eat during the detox diet?
There are no hard and fast rules of what you should include in your diet. You goal is basically to focus on antioxidant-packed cleansing vegetables and fruits with whole grains, nuts and seeds.
- Try out salads with seasonal vegetables, whole fruits, smoothies, juices.
- Each meal should have some protein, healthy fat, high-fibre, whole grain carbs, fruits and vegetables
- Opt for different recipes
- Enjoy some white beans with cashew dips, roasted red beet hummus with vegetables or cumin-lime roasted chickpeas for snacks
What to avoid during the detox diet?
Through your detox diet, while you enjoy some amazing foods you should avoid processed foods and any foods that comes with added sugar also dairy and wheat. Make sure you don’t consume caffeine as well as some specific foods in meat and condiments categories.
Avoid alcoholic drinks like beer, wine and spirits during the cleanse.
Keep yourself hydrated
Drinking plenty of water can be a good way in flushing out toxins. When you are on the detox diet, aim to drink at least eight glasses of filtered water daily. This also includes a room-temperature or lukewarm glass of water as soon as you get up in the morning. You can also add some lemon or make infused water to enhance the detox effect of your morning hydration.
Some of you might need more fluids and some of you might need less. The thirst will be your guide for this.
Physical activity boosts circulation and helps your body to eliminate toxins. You need to increase your circulation during your detox diet, include light exercises in your daily routine. Go for a walk during your lunch breaks in office, or take part in restorative yoga class.
As your energy will lag during the days of detox diet, exercising in short intervals can be beneficial. If you don’t exercise then consult to a doctor and plan an exercise regimen.
How to deal with digestive issues?
During this time your will be high on fibre, this can stimulate your digestive system. To deal with that, sip on some herbal tea, peppermint tea, caraway tea, cinnamon tea, or ginger tea. Keep in mind that once you are used to this diet you will feel more energetic and you will also notice your improved digestion.
Plan your post-detox diet
Once you have completed your detox diet, your body will be used to the diet. As the last day approaches the ideal way to get back to routine is to experiment with broad variety of foods, recipes and lifestyle habits. Build the momentum, ease back and be less restrictive during the diet. Don’t make too many changes at once though. This can cause some rift in your body.
Repeating detox diet
You can repeat the detox diet several times a year to improve your health and prevent diseases. When you repeat it, try to have different eating patterns and actions than your last diet. Test new strategies during your detox diet. A detox diet may not be appropriate for all people. If you have chronic health issues like liver diseases, diabetes, cancer, kidney disease or an eating disorder, then consult your doctor before you modify your diet.
P.S: Before following any diet or changing your diet plan, do check with your doctor or nutritionist.