We get it guys! It is difficult to let go of gorgeous little things that once made you smile. That dress you wore for your first date, but is now nowhere close to its original colour. That pair of boots you scored at that massive sale, but which always make your toe hurt. Some of these items have memories and sentiments attached to them and it’s not always easy to forget and move on.
But, if your closet is overflowing with things and “I don’t have anything to wear” is the only thing that runs through your mind when you are standing in front of it….it’s time for some tough love, darling!
To make this process easier for you, here are 10 tips to follow:
1. Start with taking some time out specifically for this ordeal and try to make it a little bit more fun with some music and maybe a glass or two of wine! (no one's counting, anything that helps).
2. Get three boxes for: SELL, DONATE and TRASH and fill these with everything you don’t want.
3. Follow the one year rule. If you haven’t worn it for a year (for any reason whatsoever) chances are you will probably not wear it ever again.
4. Invest in some organizing essentials like those slim hangers and shoe boxes!
5. Ask yourself “Does it fit me?” and answer honestly. If it doesn’t, you know what you need to do.
6. If it helps try on everything, it will help you get perspective.
7. It always helps to think: if you were shopping now, would you buy this?
8. If it’s damaged in anyway, analyze how much effort it would take to fix it and if you are willing to put in that much time.
9. Clean your closet lightly once a month, so there’s less to do later.
10. Sell whatever you can. The more money you make from discarding your clothes, the more motivated you are to chuck it.
Written by Fleur Xavier and Nethra Raghuraman on Sep 30, 2015