Just as grape turns to wine, cabbage turns to kimchi, and milk turns to yoghurt, people have been applauding fermented foods for years now because of their health benefits on the body from inside out. But the beauty industry decided to take it up a notch to introduce fermented beauty claiming it to be the next big thing for all things skin, Which, naturally, makes us wonder what it is, how it works and if it’s seriously going to change the skincare game forever.
01. What is fermented beauty?
Just like fermented foods containing probiotics help with digestion and maximum absorption of the nutrients you consume, fermentation of nutrients in skincare makes the product more concentrated and easy to penetrate. The fermented beauty products usually include yeast, herbs, fruits and grains like the Simple Daily Skin Detox SOS Clearing Booster When they’re fermented and made into skincare products like serums, masks, or creams, they are readily accepted and easily absorbed into the skin, ensuring maximum benefits.
02. Benefits on skin
- Fermented ingredients in skincare have multi-faceted benefits from increasing luminescence of the skin, reducing wrinkles, and improving overall skin health.
- Fermentation levels up the antioxidants in skincare ingredients that may act as an anti-ageing factor.
- Fermented skincare is also an excellent choice for those with sensitive skin as it helps in soothing irritated skin. It is also a great choice because, during fermentation, ingredients like soy, rice, or tea get broken down into smaller molecules, making them milder and more absorb-friendly. This makes them very gentle on the skin and seldom irritates it. (Pro tip: never forget to patch-test before using it on your face.)
03. Is it a trend or a game-changer in skincare?
While the world is raving about it right now, fermentation is a centuries-old process used in many countries worldwide, especially in Asia. When put under biological fermentation, organic ingredients transform into much more powerful components. The aim is to increase the good bacteria and kill the bad ones to elevate the power of the active ingredients and juice out maximum benefits on the skin. While it’s in trend right now, we truly believe it’s here to change the game as it not only provides ample benefits but is also a boon for those who love natural and safe skincare.