A messy bun is everything its name isn't - strategic, flattering, and not-so-effortless. It isn't as simple as planting a bun atop your hair and ruffling it up to play into the casual aesthetic of this look. Think about it. Think about the stray flyaways. Or about the distorted updo that looks more like Leonardo DiCaprio's man-bun than Zendaya's face-framing, voluminous one.
This bun demands equal proportions of messy and polished. What sets apart the low-hanging top-knot you threw your hair into after your WFH meeting from Kim Kardashian's voluminous iteration of the look? A simple hack.
There's a hack to ace the look?
Image Courtesy: @stylebistro
Yes! Kim Kardashian's hairstylist Chris Appleton shared with the internet a tutorial on recreating the ultimate lazy-girl bun in 30 seconds, and it's just so simple to follow. Here’s what you got to do:
- Part your hair down the middle, and create two high ponytails on both sides of the head.
- Tie hair-ties around each ponytail twice, and on the third/final loop, don't pull the ponytail through. Pull it halfway to create a fanned-out bun instead.
- Once you've done this on both sides, you need to cross the buns over one another (pull one loop through the other loop) and pin them into place.
- You can spritz a texturising spray like the TRESemmé Compressed Micro Mist Invisible Hold Natural Finish Texture Hold Level 1 Hair Spray onto your hair to create more volume.
- Tuck in the ends of your hair, and pin them down.
Chris suggests adding your own touches to the bun depending on the look you're going for. He dresses up his model's baby hairs with a toothbrush and the same texturising spray to play into the wispiness of the look. You can tweak the bun too - loosen it, pull out face-framing pieces, or even add accessories to your hair.