Despite our busy schedules, we do take out time to clean and pamper our tresses. We wash, condition and even put on hair masks to hydrate and nourish them. Sadly, we often ignore the most important part of our hair while taking care of our tresses — our scalp. The scalp is an extension of your skin and requires equal, if not more, TLC. A clean and healthy scalp means better and healthier hair growth. Enter: scalp scrubs. Read on as we tell you everything you need to know about scalp scrubs, including their benefits and how to make scalp scrubs at home.
- What are scalp scrubs, and how do scalp scrubs work?
- What are the benefits of exfoliating your scalp?
- How to exfoliate your hair?
- DIY scalp scrub
What are scalp scrubs, and how do scalp scrubs work?
Similar to your skin, your scalp, too, needs regular scrubbing to keep your hair healthy from the roots, as this is where your hair grows. Exfoliating your scalp removes dead skin cells, sebum, dirt, and product buildup to give you a healthy scalp. If this buildup is not removed, it can cause several scalp issues like itchiness, dandruff, and even excessive oil production in your scalp. That’s why it is important to scrub your scalp at least once a week to get rid of all the gunk.
What are the benefits of exfoliating your scalp?
Here’s why you need to make scalp scrub an integral part of your hair care routine -
- Helps get rid of buildup: When you regularly exfoliate your scalp, you lower the chances of build-up and dandruff in your hair. These conditions are harmful to your hair as they block your hair follicles and leave hair damaged and more prone to hair fall.
- Improves hair growth: Scrubbing removes dead skin cells from your scalp, which in turn helps increase cellular turnover on the scalp to make your hair grow healthy and happy.
- Makes hair shiny: It is simple - healthy hair is equal to shiny hair. So, when you exfoliate your scalp, you clean and clear up your hair follicles to make them healthy. This leads to the growth of healthy and shiny hair.
How to exfoliate your hair?
Here’s a step-by-step on how to exfoliate your hair:
Step 1: Cleanse your hair with shampoo. When you scrub after shampooing, you remove all the excessive product in your hair that might later result in the buildup.
Step 2: On your freshly shampooed hair, apply the scrub with your fingertips. You can use a comb to section your hair and make sure the scrub reaches everywhere.
Step 3: Gently massage the scrub on your scalp in a circular motion for a few minutes, but make sure you aren’t too harsh - as it may harm your scalp.
Step 4: Once done, wash your hair with cool water, and you’re good to go.
Pro tip: Make sure you don’t over-exfoliate your scalp. Scrub your scalp just once or twice a week and always be gentle while you are at it. Now, you can read on to know how to scrub your hair like a pro.
DIY scalp scrub
Here’s our go-to DIY scalp scrub that you can use to make your hair great again.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of your hair conditioner
Just mix all these ingredients together and gently scrub your hair with the mixture. Rinse off with lukewarm water and go on to shampoo and condition your hair as usual.