Extracted from Morocco’s argan trees, argan oil is also called ‘liquid gold’ due to the wide range of benefits it offers. Apart from giving you soft, smooth and younger-looking skin, using argan oil for your hair can transform the life of your tresses. In Africa, people have been using this oil for centuries. The rest of the world only recently found out about all the amazing things this oil can do. There are many ways in which the oil can benefit your hair, but one of the biggest concerns it can address is hair growth. We will tell you the benefits of argan oil and how to use argan oil for hair growth in this article.
Loaded with antioxidants, vitamin E and essential fatty acids, argan oil can repair damaged hair, improve overall hair and scalp health, and stimulate hair growth. Since it has the ability to withstand high temperatures, some people use it as a heat protectant to shield hair from the heat of styling tools. Below are all the ways in which argan oil can benefit your hair and why it is a must-have in every woman’s hair care routine.
- 1. Benefits of using argan oil for hair
- i) Nourishes hair
- ii) Promotes hair elasticity
- iii) Promotes hair growth
- iv) Protects and repairs hair
- v) Prevents damage caused by heat styling
- vi) Keeps scalp infections at bay
- 2. How to use argan oil for hair
- i) Shampoo
- ii) Leave-in conditioner
- iii) Argan and castor oil hair mask
- iv) Argan and coconut oil hair mask
- v) Styling product
- 3. FAQs about argan oil for hair
1. Benefits of using argan oil for hair
Argan oil has smaller molecules than most other hair oils, meaning it can penetrate the hair cuticle more effectively. Due to this, the oil does more than just promote hair growth. Making argan oil a part of your regular hair care routine can offer the following benefits.
i) Nourishes hair
Argan oil has the ability to nourish your hair from root to tip and give it that shampoo-commercial type of shine. The high concentration of essential fatty acids is responsible for making this happen. This is one of the reasons why so many hair care brands have started using argan oil as one of the main ingredients in their products.
ii) Promotes hair elasticity
While you may want to learn about how to use argan oil, it is also necessary to understand how it does this. This oil has the ability to improve the hair’s moisture content and elasticity, combat frizz as well as protect strands from damage that cause problems like split ends and breakage. This oil really is the answer to all your hair woes.
iii) Promotes hair growth
Argan oil contains compounds called phenols. These, along with antioxidants strengthen hair follicles and promote cell production in the scalp. The vitamins in this oil promote a healthy scalp which in turn, not only promotes hair growth but also makes sure that the new hair strands are thicker and healthier. It aids in the production of keratin, thereby stimulating hair growth.We will tell you how to apply argan oil on hair in a few different ways, but not before revealing a few more benefits.
iv) Protects and repairs hair
Hair treatments and frequent colouring makes hair dry, brittle and damaged, sometimes no matter what you do, it seems like your hair will never go back to normal. But argan oil can change this, the superior nourishing properties of the oil coats each hair strand and penetrates deep into the hair follicle to repair it from within.
v) Prevents damage caused by heat styling
Compared to other oils, argan oil has the ability to withstand higher temperatures. This makes it an excellent ingredient to use before using heat styling tools. If you are out of heat protection spray, try using argan oil in its place and you will be amazed by the results.
vi) Keeps scalp infections at bay
Dry, itchy scalp, dandruff or a monsoon scalp infection giving you sleepless nights? Argan oil has got you covered! Rich in antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, the oil can reduce inflammation, calm itching and relieve dandruff-inducing oxidative stress. Applying argan oil to the scalp can offer relief from dandruff and other scalp infections.
2. How to use argan oil for hair
Now that you’ve learned all about the benefits of argan oil, here’s how to use argan oil for hair growth.
One of the easiest ways to add argan oil to your hair care routine is by using an argan oil shampoo. If your hair often looks dry and brittle post shampooing, this technique will prevent that from happening, plus it’s quick. You can either buy an argan oil-based shampoo or do the following.
- Pour a coin-sized amount of shampoo in your palm.
- Add two drops of argan oil to this and rub your palms together to mix it well.
- Massage into your hair and scalp gently, using the tips of your finger.
- Wash and rinse as usual. For best results repeat 2-3 times a week.
ii) Leave-in conditioner
Looking for an easy and effective solution to use argan oil for hair growth? We’ve got you covered! This leave-in conditioner trick is what you were looking for.
- Wash your hair thoroughly using your favorite shampoo.
- Using a cotton towel or t-shirt squeeze excess water from your hair.
- Once you notice that no more water is dripping from your hair, rub 2-3 drops of argan oil in your palms and apply on your hair.
- Dry and style as usual. Repeat every time you wash your hair.
iii) Argan and castor oil hair mask
Castor and argan oil work well together, as both have similar properties. Both offer excellent conditioning to hair and penetrate deep into the follicles to repair hair from within. This mask works particularly well for those with damaged and frizzy hair.
Mix argan and castor oil in equal amounts and apply generously on your hair, starting from the roots working your way to the tips.
- Massage for a few minutes and wrap your hair in a small, damp towel.
- Allow the mask to work its magic for at least 30 minutes, for an intensive treatment you can leave the mask on overnight.
- Wash and rinse your hair in the morning with your regular shampoo and notice the difference.
iv) Argan and coconut oil hair mask
Another great combination of a hair mask is mixing argan oil with coconut oil. Both have reparative as well as protective properties that keep hair protected and nourished from environmental aggressors like UV rays. Wondering how to use argan oil along with coconut oil? Here’s how!
- Take equal amounts of argan and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Comb your hair to remove knots and tangles.
- Apply the oil mixture on the hair and scalp concentrating on the lower half of the hair.
- Comb again to distribute the oil evenly.
- Cover your hair with a hair cap and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with shampoo.
v) Styling product
As we learned above, argan oil can withstand heat, therefore it can be used as a styling product to protect hair from heat styling.
- Squeeze 2-3 drops of argan oil into your palms and rub your hands together.
- Lightly apply to clean, dry hair without massaging into the scalp. All you need is a light coating or shield.
- Style as usual.
3. FAQs about argan oil for hair
1. Can I use argan oil on my hair everyday?
A. Argan oil is loaded with vitamins and essential fatty acids, this means it has superior nourishing properties. One application of argan oil will keep your tresses shiny and happy for 2-3 days, therefore there is no need to apply it every day.
2. Can argan oil be applied to the scalp?
A. Yes, although it's thick, the oil gets easily absorbed into the hair and scalp. You can definitely apply argan oil to the scalp as it can address a lot of scalp issues like dandruff and infections.