‘Split ends’ can destroy your hair! They make your hair dry, frizzy, unmanageable and basically dead-looking – which is something none of us can afford.
Here is a lowdown on everything you need to know about split ends and how to banish them forever.
What are split ends?
Split ends happen when your hair is so dry and weak that they start fraying and splitting at the end. If you have ever looked closely, you must have noticed that every split end looks different.
What causes split ends?
Many things can cause split ends but the biggest contributor is heat! Be it the blow-drying, straightening or curling, the heat causes your cuticle to split.
How to get rid of split ends
Dry, frizzy and wispy ends can truly make our hair look damaged. If you’ve been trying to find the answer to how to remove split ends, here’s what you need to do…
1. Wide-Tooth Comb to Tangle Free Your Hair
- Use a wide-tooth comb to tangle-free your hair. Do this without pressure so you don’t break your hair.
- Divide your hair into two sections and gently comb them to avoid breakage.
- Start combing at the bottom of your hair and work your way to the top to avoid tangles at the end.
2. Wash them well
- Using products that suit your hair type is extremely important. Pick a shampoo and a conditioner that will nourish your hair and fight split ends. Try the Dove Split End Rescue Shampoo which is formulated with fibre actives that work to deeply nourish your hair and keep split ends at bay. Its gentle formula makes it safe for everyday use for all hair type.
- Deep conditioning helps nourish and moisturize hair while also smoothening and softening the cuticles.
- Remember to rinse your hair thoroughly after conditioning it, so no product is left behind to cause hair problems.
- Avoid using hot water to wash your hair as it erodes the natural oils, strips off the moisture and makes your hair dry.
- Try not to wash your hair every day. Wash it alternate days so your hair gets time to re-generate its natural oils that are essential for it to retain its natural quality.
3. Styling Your Hair
- Before styling your hair, it is important to use a leave-in conditioner / cream that will moisturize your hair and reduce frizz.
- Applying leave-in conditioners evenly through your hair, before using blow dryers and straighteners helps reduce hair damage that these devices tend to cause.
- When using styling devices do not exceed 180 degrees of temperature as it can destroy the natural cuticle and keratin of your hair.
- Get regular trims for your hair. Try to trim your tresses every 6 to 8 weeks to avoid split ends and frizz.
4. Vitamin E Rich Foods
- Consume Vitamin E-rich foods like broccoli, spinach and nuts as Vitamin E stimulates the oxygen intake and boosts blood circulation to your scalp thus giving you healthy, happy hair.
- Remember to have eggs every alternate day as they are rich in protein and zinc both of which nourish your hair and help get rid of split ends naturally.
- Avocados, tomatoes, curd are all rich in omega-3 fats, vitamins and antioxidants that help your hair stay in good health thus preventing split ends.
5. Use hair friendly accessories
Tight elastic bands with metal parts and metal clips cause hair damage. Instead opt for scrunchies and ribbons to make sure your hair is treated gently. Also make sure you protect your hair while sleeping. Braid your hair loosely or tie it up in a bun while sleeping to avoid hair tangling or use a silk pillow.