Whether you’re an experienced hair colour enthusiast or planning to get your first dye job done professionally, it always helps to be knowledgeable about the process. And with so many different techniques and types of hair colouring options available, you have to consider your options before settling for the one that best suits your needs. Unless you’re colouring your hair at home (which we think should not be made a habit of), there are two popular types of hair colouring options available at most salons, permanent and semi-permanent hair colour. While you might already be familiar with these two, there is a third option available as well — demi-permanent hair colour, and here is everything you need to know about it...
What is demi-permanent hair colour?
Image courtesy: @pom.klementieff
A permanent hair colour job is done with an ammonia-infused product to penetrate your strands with colour that lasts a long time. As compared to that, a semi-permanent hair dye is ammonia-free and only coats your hair and can last for about 8-10 shampoo sessions. Demi-permanent dye combines the best of the two and is an ammonia-free option that manages to penetrate the first layer of your hair for a more statement hair colour change. Which means, it gives you vibrant colour with less damage and that on an average lasts up to 24 shampoo sessions.
The benefits of demi-permanent hair colour
There are a couple of aspects of a demi-permanent hair colour that has caught our fancy, and will surely impress you as well:
01. It is highly customizable: Demi-permanent hair colours can be customised to be as deep or as sheer as you like. This is the perfect option if you’re someone who is always on the fence about a colour change.
02. It is less damaging in nature: Demi-permanent hair colour does not contain any ammonia, but just enough peroxide developer to open up your hair cuticle one layer to allow the absorption of colour.
03. It is available in a variety of trendy shades: The technology of demi-permanent hair colour allows for a variety of trendy shades with lots of depth and dimension. It is the perfect option for someone who likes to experiment with hair colours, but does not like to commit to one for a long time.
04. It is suitable for all hair types: Since demi-permanent hair dyes do not alter the texture of your hair, they are suitable for all hair types.
05. It instantly refreshes the look of your hair: Demi-permanent hair dyes are liquid and can be used to tone, blend and boost the shine of dull and lifeless hair without significant damage.
The final takeaway from this is that if you are looking for a low-maintenance hair colour that lasts for a couple of months, causes less damage and looks uber chic, demi-permanent is the way to go. All you need to maintain the colour is use products formulated for coloured hair such as the Love Beauty & Planet Murumuru Butter And Rose Aroma Blooming Colour Shampoo + Conditioner Combo and pamper your tresses to a hair mask like the Tresemme Keratin Smooth Deep Smoothing Mask once a week to keep them looking healthy.
Written by Sumona Bose on Oct 22, 2020
Sumona Bose is a writer, skincare junkie and a self-professed makeup connoisseur. Equipped with a Master's degree in Fashion Management and over 3 years of experience writing in the beauty and fashion space, her passion for learning new things has no bounds. Working closely with dermatologists, beauty excerpts, makeup artists and hairstylists, she brings you the best of all things beauty. From trending skincare ingredients to makeup looks that help you slay, she manages to bring something new (and vital!) to our readers every single time. Her hobbies include home workouts, watching foreign films and binge-watching makeover shows!