Why do we do yoga? To ensure that our physical and emotional health is in a balanced state. Yoga is not only a form of exercise, but also a form of meditation, thus bringing both mind and body together for an exceptional experience. Not only that, it is also great for toning face and reversing and preventing the signs of ageing. Thus, it isn’t really a surprise that yoga for hair fall also exists.
With time, our lives get busier and the treatments for falling hair and ageing skin get even more expensive. But, what if we could counter it by just keeping our mind and spirit calm? After all, stress is one of the major reasons why our hair loses its sheen and strength. Yoga for hair fall ensures that your hair remains healthy with a touch of mindful exercise and regular care.
In this article, we will tell you all about it and a lot more. Read on.
- What are the benefits of yoga for hair fall?
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 1: Adho Mukha Savasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 2: Utthanasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 3: Pavanmukthasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 4: Sarvangasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 5: Vajrasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 6: Ustrasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 7: Uttanpadasana
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 8: Balayam Yoga
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 9: Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Yoga asanas for hair fall 10: Bhastrika Pranayama
- FAQs on yoga for hair fall
What are the benefits of yoga for hair fall?
There are many types of yoga asanas. But what is important is the fact that a regular and diligent practice of it helps reduce not only hair fall but numerous other hair issues. Here is a deeper look into how yoga is beneficial in fighting hair fall and other hair concerns:
i) Increases blood supply
Yoga for hair fall is known to increase blood supply to the head and face. This, in turn, stimulates the scalp nerves and regulates hair growth thus ensuring better hair growth.
ii) Reduces stress
Stress is another reason for continuous hair fall. Yoga helps calm the mind and body, thus reducing stress effectively. It also helps the body switch to a parasympathetic mode from a sympathetic mode.
iii) Regulates thyroid functioning
Regulated functioning of the thyroid gland is very important for hair growth. Yoga aids better thyroid function and hence better hair growth.
iv) Reduces anxiety
Another aspect where yoga benefits the hair is in reducing anxiety. A tense and anxious body cannot digest food and thus rejects the nutrients. By relieving the body of its anxious state, yoga ensures that the hair gets all the essential nutrients it requires.
v) Oxygenates the scalp
Yoga for hair fall also comes with various breathing asanas and exercises. These help increase the flow of oxygen to the scalp, which is also quite helpful in maintaining healthy hair growth.
vi) Rejuvenates hair follicles
Yoga revitalizes hair follicles and ensures you have thicker and better hair. Let’s take a look at some of the hair benefits of yoga that ensure a healthy mane in the longer run.
Yoga asanas for hair fall 1: Adho Mukha Savasana
Image courtesy: @Archana Sunil Tomar
Also known as the downward dog pose, this one promotes blood circulation in the scalp and overall head and crown area. It also nourishes the hair follicles. It is also effective in dealing with a common cold.
- Lift your middle body with the support of your hands and feet touching the ground
- Make sure your hands are perpendicular to your knees
- Jut your hips out and stand on your toes
- Straighten your spine
- Slowly, push your hips down and come back to the starting position
Yoga asanas for hair fall 2: Utthanasana
Image courtesy: @Stylecraze
This is another yoga asana that ensures proper blood flow to the hair, thus preventing hair fall and also improving hair quality. It is also an effective exercise if you wish to get a flat stomach.
- Stand in a way that your legs are close to one another
- Now take a deep breath
- Exhale and lift your hands simultaneously
- Bring your hands down to touch the floor
- Stay for a few seconds and continue breathing normally Stand back straight
Yoga asanas for hair fall 3: Pavanmukthasana
Image courtesy: @Vida Lucida
This yoga asana helps regulate digestion, thus contributing towards better hair growth as nutrients get absorbed better by the body and thus work better at making your hair long and luscious.
- Lie on your back Inhale and move one leg towards your chest
- Hold the knee close to your chest
- Relax for a few seconds
- Put the leg in the original position
- Inhale and repeat the process for the other leg
Yoga asanas for hair fall 4: Sarvangasana
Image courtesy: @Honey Fur | Ayurveda Lifestyle | Ayurvedic Herbs Healing Remedies
This is the asana that is helpful in regulating thyroid functioning, thus enabling blood circulation towards the brain, which in turn reduces hair fall. This is also helpful in healing neck pain.
- Lie flat on your back
- Inhale and raise your body waist upwards with the push of your hands, in a way that your toes point up
- Your body should be resting on your neck back and shoulders
- Make sure your hands are at the centre of your spine
- Breathe and concentrate on your thyroid gland
Yoga asanas for hair fall 5: Vajrasana
Image courtesy: @beYogi
This is one of the easiest asanas which is known to increase blood circulation to the scalp, thus helping hair follicles grow. It is also helpful in relieving you of bloating.
- Kneel on the floor, rest your seat on the back of your feet
- Make sure your spine is straight
- Keep your heels together
- Put your hands flat down on your thighs
- Relax and take a few deep breaths for one whole minute
- Stretch your legs
Yoga asanas for hair fall 6: Ustrasana
Image courtesy: @Asanayoga.de
This is a two-in-one solution for optimum hair growth and lesser hair fall. This yoga pose not only directs the blood flow towards hair and scalp, but also regulates thyroid function, thus curbing hair fall.
- Sit on your knees
- Make sure the rest of your body is at a 90-degrees angle
- Arch your spine and bend backwards
- Touch your heels with your hands
- Retain the pose as you breathe normally
- Gradually come back to the original position
Yoga asanas for hair fall 7: Uttanpadasana
Image courtesy: @Stylecraze
Did you know that reproductive health should also be at its optimum level for hair fall to stop? This yoga asana improves blood circulation in the pelvic area and makes sure reproductive organs are working just fine.
- Lie down flat on the floor
- Have your arms resting on your sides
- Stretch your legs and start lifting them up from the floor
- At the same time lift your head and torso too
- Balance your body on your hips by forming a ‘V’ shape
- Remain in this position for a minute and then come back to the original one
Yoga asanas for hair fall 8: Balayam Yoga
Image courtesy: @Leaf.tv
This one's the most common and easiest yoga asana, something that we have been doing inadvertently for a long. Remember rubbing your nails when the elders told you it is good for hair growth? Yes, that is balayam yoga.
- Bring both your palms together
- Curl your fingers inwards
- Make sure your nails are in contact with each other
- Rub intensely for around five minutes
- Do not use thumbnails for this one
Yoga asanas for hair fall 9: Kapalbhati Pranayama
Image courtesy: @Shiny Sleep
This is a form of pranayama which helps the brain receive ample oxygen. It also removes toxins and promotes nervous system functions. This makes the hair lustrous and stronger.
- Sit in the lotus pose or the padmasana pose
- Exhale forcefully and inhale softly
- Do this five times without any break, for five minutes
- This can be a little difficult at the start, but with practice, it can be done for five minutes
Yoga asanas for hair fall 10: Bhastrika Pranayama
Image courtesy: @Art of Living
This is another form of pranayama which is very good for reducing hair fall. This one helps in removing excess phlegm, wind or bile from the body. As the impurities are gone, it helps purify the blood stream and the nervous system. This makes the process of hair growth faster.
- Sit in the vajrasana position
- Clench your fists tightly and take them to rest beside your shoulder
- Breathe in with force and push your hands upwards at the same time
- Breathe out and bring down the hands at the same time
FAQs on yoga for hair fall
Q. Do I need to improve my diet along with yoga for hair fall?
A. A good diet always compliments any treatment, natural or otherwise. Follow a balanced diet chart. This should include green leafy vegetables, pulses, cereals, sprouts, proteins, fruits and more so that your hair gets the best nutrients. Yoga further helps in making the digestive system better so that your hair can take advantage of these nutrients.
Q. What kind of hair products should I use?
A. The more chemicals you use, the worse your hair will become over time. Try using shampoos and conditioners that are free of sulfate, silicone and alcohol. The reason is that sulphates and alcohols dry your hair by depleting the natural oils and silicone weighs it down and makes it heavy.
Written by Kadambari Srivastava on Dec 23, 2020
A finance professional by degree who jumped into the world of content creation 7 years ago, Kadambari is a pro at spinning words, whether it's beauty, business, entertainment, or anything else. Better separate your 'its' from 'it's' when she is around. When she isn't writing, she can be seen with a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other, keeping up with her book challenge of the year.