Curly hairstyles are difficult only until you know how to choose and properly maintain them. Agreed, curly hair can be a challenge to manage as it tends to have a mind of its own. And if you are blessed with curly hair, then you know what we are talking about. We at team BeBeautiful think curly hair is the best to style as it has a lot of character and volume. When maintained and cut properly, it is a sight to behold, but then there are those days when all styling goes straight to hell and you are left with a hot mess of frizz. We hear from you. This is why we bring all the possible curly hairstyles for women that we could think of for every hair length imaginable.
We know curly hair can be a little challenging, but we urge you to embrace the craze, rather than fight it! If you have always wondered how to style your head full of springy curls, you have come to the right place!
- Caring for your curly hair
- How to give your curls the high maintenance sheen:
- The stylish pixie cut
- The shaggy boy-cut
- The edgy undercut
- The good girl bob cut
- The office-chic top knot
- The curly hun-ny top knot
- The no-mess braided bun
- The best of both worlds hairstyle
- Baby hair art for the artsy soul
- Cornrows for the street look
Caring for your curly hair
Before you start thinking about what curly hairstyle to get for yourself, you need to know a few basic facts about caring for your curly hair. We know you may have done a lot of research about the subject, but here is a brush up...
- Get a trim regularly as curly hair is predominantly dry and dryness starts at the ends. Keep your ends trimmed and keep it styled in layers as this will make sure your curls look voluminous and bouncy.
- Swap your cotton pillowcase for a satin or silk one as this will reduce friction between the strands of your curly hair. This will also ensure you do not wake up with tangled hair.
- Never brush your hair, always use a wide-tooth comb to gently detangle your hair when it is still wet after a shower. Then scrunch your hair from the ends towards your scalp to create and define the curls.
- After a shower, do not go to town with a towel on your curly hair. Use an old cotton towel or even a used t-shirt and gently pat your hair and allow it to air dry.
- Use a good conditioner after you shampoo your hair. Curly hair tends to be naturally dry so it is imperative that you use a good conditioner for your hair. You could also use a leave-in conditioner if your hair still seems dry.
How to give your curls the high maintenance sheen:
- Always use lightweight oil at the ends. Curly hair is naturally dry, so give the ends extra shine with a light hair oil or hair serum.
- Add texture to your hair when you style it using gels and pomades.
- Always have your curly hair cut in layers. The layers will really bring out the bounce and volume of your hair. Do not shy away from showcasing the personality of your curly hair. Own it!
- In between washes, use a curl cream and scrunch up the ends to retain definition. Remember, scrunching your hair gives your oodles of volume.
How you have all the basics for caring for curly hair, let’s get started on different curly hairstyles that are out there!
The stylish pixie cut
If you thought that a pixie cut for curly hair was only for lasses with straight-ish hair, think again. Curly hair is the easiest to grow out and a pixie cut may just be the curly hairstyle you have been looking for! This is a fun, easy to maintain curly hairstyle, perfect for the eternal backpacker!
The shaggy boy-cut
It is a boyish cut, but what better curly hairstyle to flaunt with your accessories? Sue headbands, scarves, pins to style your hair the way you want. This is the go-to cut for the curly haired tom-boy at heart!
The edgy undercut
For the curly haired punk-girl at heart, this is one curly hairstyle that is definitely worth a try. Get an undercut and style all your hair onto the other side. It helps if you have a tattoo or two to go with this curly hairstyle!
The good girl bob cut
For a girl who prefers slightly longer curly hairstyles, why not give this cute bob cut a shot? Curly hair looks good especially with bob cuts; just make sure you get soft layers done on your hair. This frames your face batter. You can always style it in different ways using headbands and barrettes.
The office-chic top knot
Slightly longer curly hair offers you more variety of hairstyles to play with. Collect all your hair at the top of your head and secure it in a ponytail. Twist the ponytail around the base, while leaving a few strands loose.
The curly hun-ny top knot
When you have medium length hair and you would like to leave it loose, tie it up in a half-up, half-down hairstyle and secure the top section into a top knot. This is a chic hairstyle for a day out with your girl squad. You can also make the look interesting with scarves, pins or barrettes.
The no-mess braided bun
Curly hair tends to have a lot of personalities. Try and use that personality in your curly hairstyles. Braid your hair starting at the hairline, collect and secure all your hair in a sleek bun. With curly hair, you can go one of two ways with hairstyles. You can go the messy way, which looks natural, or you can go the sleek way, which will require a fair amount of products which have ‘hold’.
The best of both worlds hairstyle
When you want both sleek hairs as well as curly, opt for this one! This is perfect for humid, hot climates. It will not allow your hair to frizz in the front, but will also leave your hair loose at the back. After washing your hair, apply gel and slick the hair in the front section back. Secure the remaining section at the back into a ponytail.
Baby hair art for the artsy soul
This hair trend has been sweeping through the international runways and we are in love with the inspired idea! Instead of fighting the baby hair around the forehead that just refuses to comb back, comb them front, on to your forehead and apply the gel on them. Use a toothbrush to curl and swirl them into shapes. There you have it! Baby hair art!
Cornrows for the street look
Cornrows and braids work very well for curly hair as they have the texture to hold the hairstyle for longer. You can experiment with different styles with cornrows and see what suits you. We love a good ‘faux’ undercut braid, where you tightly weave your hair into braids one side and style your hair on the other side.
Image courtesy: Pinterest