After watching Disney movies, do you too suddenly feel the urge to braid your hair as beautifully as Anna from ‘Frozen’ and Rapunzel from ‘Tangled’ do? We feel you, sis! Their braids look so pretty, that it’s hard not to like them! If you’re a long-haired lass, consider yourself lucky! The length of your hair will give you all the opportunities to braid your hair in different ways every single time. If you’re looking at trying different braids, you’re at the right place. We have curated for you a list of 6 side braid hairstyles that you can try to make your inner Disney princess happy!
- 1. Simple side braid
- 2. Messy side braid
- 3. French side braid
- 4. Dutch braid
- 5. Side fishtail plait
- 6. Bubble side braid
1. Simple side braid
If you love braids and want to try styling your own hair in one, but haven’t ever tried, then you should begin with this simple side braid hairstyle. This is the most uncomplicated style to get you to hop onto the braid train! This basic side braid, though simple to do, will enhance your hair game.
How to do it?
- Before you begin, detangling your hair is a must. Detangle it gently.
- Next, gather it to one side and then part the hair into three sections.
- Start by taking the right side section and folding it over the middle section.
- Next, take the left side section and fold it over the middle section.
- Alternating between the right and left side, keep repeating this till you’ve reached the ends of your hair.
- Secure your hair with a hair tie or a fancy scrunchy, and there you have your basic braid!
P.S. If you have an occasion to attend, you can make this simple side braid hairstyle elegant by adorning it with pearls or flowers!
2. Messy side braid
To add a little fun element to your simple braid, try this side braid hairstyle. The right amount of precision will make it look perfectly messy! Sounds like irony, isn’t it? It is what it is! The messy side braid hairstyle is perfect for a casual evening or when you’re going to hang out with your girls. The best part about this hairdo is that it can be put together in just four steps!
How to do it?
- After brushing and untangling your hair, separate your hair into two sections by creating a deep side part.
- Then, separate each section in two again. That’ll leave you with four sections of hair in total.
- Start with the section on the far left, cross underneath the next section, then over the third section, then under the fourth section, as if you were weaving a basket.
- Continue this with each far-left section until your hair is completely braided. Secure it with a hair tie.
- To attain the messy look, gently tug sections of the braid to loosen them up a bit. And that’s the messy side braid for you!
3. French side braid
A French braid can transform your side braid hairstyle into something more sophisticated and classic. If you’re an expert in simple side braids and want to try something different yet not too complex, this side braid hairstyle is the one to go for. Moreover, it is the chicest way to keep your hair out of your face. Learn this intricate braid for those hot summer days when you want to keep your hair tied, but still want to look stylish.
How to do it?
- Brush your hair gently and untangle all knots.
- Next, part your hair on the right or left side, whichever side you’d want your braid on.
- Take a small section of your hair from near your hairline and divide it into three sections.
- Next, start braiding from that part of your hair itself, like a simple braid.
- Weave your left section over the middle section and then your right section over the middle section.
- Continue braiding and add additional hair from the sides into the braid.
- Continue braiding around the back of your head till you reach the ends of your hair.
- When you’ve braided all the hair, secure it with a hair tie.
- Next, using your thumb and index finger, pull on the edges of your braid to make it look thicker and fuller. Finally, your French side braid is ready!
4. Dutch braid
Always in style, the Dutch braid is the next one to try after you have mastered the intricate and graceful French braid. It’s a cute yet casual side braid hairstyle that you can try if you have long hair and want to keep it tied, but don’t want to go for the usual ponytail or plait.
How to do it?
- Start by brushing and detangling your hair. If required, use a volumising hair spray before starting with your side braid hairstyle.
- Next, bring all your hair to one side of your head and create a side parting.
- From near your hairline, take a small section of hair and divide it into three equal sections.
- Start braiding your hair by crossing the hair from the left section under the middle section and then crossing the hair from the right section under the middle section.
- In a regular braid, you’d cross-hair from both sections over the middle section, but in this one, remember to cross it under the middle section.
- Continue the braiding and keep adding in hair from the side till you reach the nape of your neck and there’s no more side hair to add.
- Now, braid the remaining hair in the classic style until you reach your ends. Finally, secure it with a hair tie.
- If you want a slightly messy look, pull on the edges of the braid
5. Side fishtail plait
A fishtail plait is a fun alternative to the classic braid, making you look all cute and whimsical! However, as fancy and whimsical as this side braid hairstyle is, it’s also tricky to do, and not everyone can do it on their own hair. It requires a certain level of expertise and patience. If you consider yourself an expert in braiding, then this side braid hairstyle will be easy for you to follow.
How to do it?
- Brush out your hair and untangle all the knots. Decide which side you want your braid on, then part the hair into two sections.
- Start braiding by taking a small piece of hair from one side and bringing it over, and adding it to the inside of the other side.
- Repeat the same step on the other side, grabbing from the outer part of the section and continuing all the way down your braid.
- To keep the braid in place, use your fingers to move the hair across.
- Keep doing this till you reach all the way down your hair. Secure the braid with a hair tie. Tug at small pieces of your braid to create more volume.
6. Bubble side braid
For a totally unique side braid hairstyle, try this one out! It looks straight out of a Disney movie. The biggest hair trend of 2021, while the bubble braid looks pretty fancy and stylish, it’s quite easy to do. It is basically a cool twist on ponytails and will not take more than ten minutes to achieve. So try this hairstyle out and fulfill your Disney princess fantasy!
How to do it?
- Start by detangling your hair and tying it into a high ponytail. You can even go for a mid or low ponytail if you’re aiming for a sleeker look.
- Pull out your baby hair and fringe for a casual look. However, if you are going for a slick look, pin them up.
- Take another hair tie and tie it a couple of inches below your ponytail.
- Using your fingers, loosen the hair between the first hair tie and the second to achieve a bubble shape.
- Repeat this step every few inches till you get to the ends of your hair. Then, leave the chunk at the end loose for a more modern look.
- Tease each ‘bubble’ again to attain the shape you want. There you go!
Image courtesy: Pinterest
Written by Nisha Shah on Dec 14, 2021
Writer, avid reader and a lover of all things creative is the best way to describe Nisha Shah! Equipped with a degree in Journalism and a certification in Digital Marketing, she brings a distinct perspective to her writing. With experience in content covering a range of topics from health to travel and beauty to food, she manages to bring something interesting and yet easy-to-read for her readers. When she's not writing, you can find her curled up with a book and coffee, bingeing on movies and TV shows, experimenting with photography and lots more!