It has been a couple of months since lockdown began and by now we’ve started to accept it as your new normal. While we can’t wait to get our freedom back, we have to admit that self-isolation has given Team BB a little extra time to indulge in self-care. So no complaints here! In fact, deep conditioning has become our no.1 weekend activity.
Why, you ask? While a regular conditioner works to soften your hair after cleansing, deep conditioning can take it a step further. It can help protect your hair from split ends and breakage, work on improving texture and promote elasticity in the strands. This can be especially true for damaged and colour-treated hair that needs extra tending to and care.
Now, if you can’t get your hands on a deep conditioner, let me tell you that you can deep condition your hair with just your regular conditioner! Follow this step-by-step guide to deep condition your hair from the comfort of your home.
- Step 01: Wash hair thoroughly
- Step 02: Choose the right conditioner
- Step 03: Apply the conditioner thoroughly
- Step 04: Follow up with a warm towel treatment
- Step 05: Rinse with cold water
Step 01: Wash hair thoroughly
Deep conditioning treatments work best when applied on squeaky clean hair. Thoroughly cleaning your scalp can help open up your hair cuticles, making it easier for the conditioner to get absorbed. It is also easier to deliver all that nourishing goodness directly to your scalp when it is not covered with a layer of oil or product build-up.
Step 02: Choose the right conditioner
Before you do a complete DC routine, figure out your hair needs. Are you treating severely dry hair or just giving your hair a boost of shine? Keep the end result in mind while choosing a product.
- If you are looking to revive dull and lifeless hair, choose a creamy formula like the Dove Regenerative Repair Conditioner. Infused with Algae complex, it strengthens the internal structure of the hair and repairs broken bonds. This can be especially beneficial for heat-treated hair that desperately needs its original texture and health restored.
- If you are looking to calm your frizzy hair, choose a nourishing formula like the Tresemme Hair Spa Rejuvenation Conditioner. Enriched with hydrating Marine Minerals complex and essential nutrients, it gives you salon pampered hair experience without breaking a sweat!
- For dry, frizzy hair, pick an oil-based formula like the Love Beauty & Planet Argan Oil and Lavender Aroma Smooth and Serene Conditioner. It's formula with natural argan oil, combined with ethically sourced lavender helps smooth out the hair and leave it frizz-protected.
- At times a deep conditioning treatment can just be about giving your hair some extra TLC. The Sunsilk Stunning Black Shine Amla Pearl Complex Conditioner energises your hair, leaving it smooth and detangled. What’s more, it gives you shiny hair for upto 24 hours from the very first use.
Step 03: Apply the conditioner thoroughly
A deep conditioning treatment usually requires the product to be applied from root to tip. However, since you are using your regular conditioner, apply it an inch away from the root and use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product evenly through your hair. Focus on your ends as they tend to be drier and need to be properly soaked in conditioner.
Step 04: Follow up with a warm towel treatment
Once you are done applying the conditioner, follow it up with a warm towel treatment. All you need to do is run your towel under a faucet, wring out the excess water and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then wrap your head in the hot, damp towel and allow the heat to get the product deep into your hair follicles. You can leave the conditioner on for three to four hours, but make sure to refresh your head wrap to keep it warm.
Step 05: Rinse with cold water
Rinse your hair with cold water to close the cuticles and lock in the moisture. It is recommended to deep condition your hair once or twice a week to maintain optimum mane health.