Fishtail braids are elegant, intricate, and really pretty. Sure, they take longer to create than regular braids, but they’re definitely worth it! What’s great about fishtail braids is that they can be worn in a variety of ways, right from a braided ponytail to micro accent braids. However, before we tell you the different ways in which you can get creative with fishtail braids, let’s get you caught up on the basics of constructing a fishtail braid.
- Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create these mermaid tail-like braids:
- 1. Braided ponytail
- 2. French fishtail braid
- 3. A high ponytail with an accent fishtail braid
- 4. Halo braids
- 5. Mini fishtail braid
- 6. Half-up dutch fishtail braid
- 7. Side French braid with a messy bun
- 8. Inverted fishtail braid
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create these mermaid tail-like braids:
- Pull your hair into a ponytail at the name nape of your neck, and secure it with an elastic band that you can snip away with scissors at the end.
- Divide your ponytail into two even sections— unlike a regular braid that requires three sections, fishtail braids need only two.
- With your finger, separate a small section of your hair from the outer edge (near the elastic band) and cross it over to the other section of your ponytail. Tighten the braid, and repeat this with the other section of your ponytail.
- Continue the overlapping process until the braid is complete. Secure the braid with a hair tie, and carefully cut the elastic band with a pair of scissors.
Now that you know how to create a fishtail braid, here are 8 ways you can wear it:
1. Braided ponytail
This fishtail braid hairstyle is perfect for those days when you don’t feel like leaving your hair loose, but don’t want to style it in a regular braid or ponytail either. For this hairstyle, all you need to do is fasten your hair in a high ponytail, and construct a fishtail braid from the ponytail itself. Then, secure it with a thin hair tie.
2. French fishtail braid
If you’re looking for that perfect, pretty messy braid, this one is your best bet. Start off by French braiding your hair. When you reach the nape of your neck, switch to creating a fishtail braid. If you want to make the look more dramatic, you could clip in a cute hair accessory.
3. A high ponytail with an accent fishtail braid
This hairstyle is not only really simple to do, but also looks absolutely gorgeous! All you need to do is pull your hair back into a high ponytail, and then fasten it. Next, grab a small section of hair from the ponytail, and use it to create a thin fishtail braid. To make the look more whimsical, you could try creating the ponytail with tousled waves.
4. Halo braids
If you want to leave your hair loose, but also want to enjoy the beauty of a fishtail braid, then halo braids are the way to go! All you need to do is take a section of hair, turn it into a fishtail braid, twist it around your head, and secure it with a pin.
5. Mini fishtail braid
There’s no rule that says a fishtail braid is required to go all the way down. You can don this braid by braiding just a couple of inches of your hair from the nape of your neck and finishing it off with a hair tie. This look is nothing short of simple and pretty!
6. Half-up dutch fishtail braid
If you’d prefer a half-up half-down hairstyle with a fishtail braid, then try out this one! This creative style can be created in just a few minutes and can make you stand out at the next event you attend. Start by dividing your hair’s top and bottom halves and braiding a dutch fishtail braid on the top. When it reaches the ears, braid a few sections of the regular fishtail braid and pull on the edges to make the braid fuller!
7. Side French braid with a messy bun
A French braid is a classic, and a messy bun is another classic! Combine the two, and you get this classy hairstyle. All you need to do is tie a French braid right till the ear and then tie the hair into a regular braid. Gather the remaining hair into a ponytail and tie a low messy bun. Pull a few strands near the face to create a messy look and loosen the braid. If you have bangs, leave them out to give a gentler look.
8. Inverted fishtail braid
If you’re the kind of woman who likes to go for quirky and unique hairstyles, then this fishtail braid is for you! It lends a chic vibe to your overall look. All you need to do is first gather your hair in a ponytail and divide the pony into two sections. Braid one section of the ponytail, join it with the other section and repeat the process. Tease the weave using your fingers, and there you have your inverted braid!
Image credits: The Right Hairstyles, Seventeen online, Pinterest
Written by Cassandra Pereira on Apr 16, 2018