There is more to hair care in monsoon than just hastily drying your hair every time you get caught in the rain! The excess humidity in the air and environmental pollution can lead to certain hair issues that should not be left unattended.
Here, we’ve rounded up four monsoon hair woes and how to effectively deal with each. Take a look…
A major monsoon hair woe ( and unquestionably the most annoying one) is dandruff. The increase in humidity levels makes your scalp moist and serves as the perfect breeding ground for the dandruff-causing fungus, Malassezia, to thrive on; and if you have sensitive skin, matters are made worse!
To best deal with monsoon dandruff, switch to a mild anti-dandruff shampoo like the Dove Dandruff Care Shampoo. The moisturising formula gently cleanses your scalp without drying your hair and causing unnecessary itching.
Pro tip: Do a label check on your choice of hair wash. Ingredients like zinc pyrithione or piroctone olamine are great for dealing with dandruff.
02. Hair fall
Factors like scalp irritation, bacterial infections and lack of proper hair hygiene can lead to hair fall during monsoon. The best way to deal with it is by keeping the scalp clean and nourished. Rainwater contains toxins, hence, it’s imperative to wash your hair as soon as you get home. Use a dry shampoo to soak up the excess greasiness and refresh your scalp.
To minimise breakage, use a keratin-rich formula like the Tresemme Hair Fall Defense Shampoo. It strengthens your mane and keeps hair fall woes at bay.
03. Oily scalp
The moisture imbalance caused in your scalp due to increased humidity levels can directly contribute to excessive oiliness on the scalp. Your hair follicles overcompensate for the lack of moisture by producing more oil, leading to dull and greasy hair.
Use a refreshing formula like the Sunsilk Green Tea and White Lily Freshness Hair Shampoo to counter the greasiness of your hair. The shampoo purifies your scalp, keeping it fresh till your next hair wash!
04. Frizzy hair
Did you know that your hair’s chemical structure is super sensitive to excessive hydrogen in the hair? Yes, and during monsoon, your hair bonds with oxygen leading to the smooth cuticles erupting and turning frizzy.
Your best bet against monsoon frizziness is to introduce smoothening agents back into the hair and tame the frizz. Use a one-stop solution like the Love Beauty & Planet Argan Oil And Lavender Aroma Smooth And Serene Shampoo to calm the madness in your tresses and keep it hydrated and bouncy!
Dos and Don’ts of monsoon hair care
Apart from targeted issues, here are some basic dos and don’ts you need to keep in mind for maintaining healthy hair during monsoons:
- Wash your hair: Wash your hair at least twice a week to keep sweat and product build-up from clogging the pores and worsening your hair woes in the monsoon.
- Oil your tresses: Pamper your tresses to an oil champi to keep them nourished and frizz-free during the monsoon. Oil your hair two hours before hair wash for best results.
- Eat right: Keep yourself hydrated and supplement your diet with protein, biotin and vitamin E and C rich foods for healthy tresses.
- Go in for chemical treatments: Avoid salon treatments like smoothening, perming or colouring during this season. They can multiply your hair woes in the monsoon and damage your hair quality.
- Brush wet hair: Never brush wet hair as it can tug on your already sensitive roots and cause hair fall. Use a wide-tooth comb to remove knots and tangles once your hair is dry.
- Leave your hair loose: Avoid wearing your hair down during the monsoon; instead, you can tie them in buns and braids to keep them protected.