‘Split ends’ can destroy your hair! They make your hair dry, frizzy, unmanageable and basically dead-looking – which is something none of us can afford. Here is a lowdown on everything you need to know about split ends and how to get rid of split ends at home.
How to Get Rid of Split Ends Definitely: The Basics
Split ends happen when your hair is so dry and weak that they start fraying and splitting at the end. If you have ever looked closely, you must have noticed that every split end looks different.
Many things can cause split ends but the biggest contributor is heat! Be it the blow-drying, straightening or curling, the heat causes your cuticle to split.
How to Get Rid of Split Ends Definitely
Dry, frizzy and wispy ends can truly make our hair look damaged. If you’ve been trying to find the answer to how to get rid of split ends without cutting hair, here’s what you need to do…
1. Wide-tooth comb to tangle free your hair
- Use a wide-tooth comb to tangle-free your hair. Do this without pressure so you don’t break your hair.
- Divide your hair into two sections and gently comb them to avoid breakage.
- Start combing at the bottom of your hair and work your way to the top to avoid tangles at the end.
2. Wash them well
- If you want to know how to get rid of split ends, using products that suit your hair type is extremely important. Pick a shampoo and a conditioner that will nourish your hair and fight split ends. Try the TRESemmé ProPure Damage Recovery Shampoo which is infused with the goodness of Fermented Rice Water. It helps rebuild your hair strength, reduce breakage and make your hair smooth and glossy. Don't forget to follow it up with the TRESemmé ProPure Damage Recovery Conditioner to gently condition and treat dry, dull hair. It is enriched with Amino acids, Vitamin E and Antioxidants, it is said to make your hair shinier and stronger as well as lend strength and tenacity.
- Deep conditioning helps nourish and moisturize hair while also smoothening and softening the cuticles. Add a weekly mask to your haircare routine like the TRESemmé ProPure Damage Recovery Mask. It contains fermented rice water and a unique damage recovery formula helps strengthen hair and sunflower seed oil helps smoothen hair.
- Remember to rinse your hair thoroughly after conditioning it, so no product is left behind to cause hair problems.
- Avoid using hot water to wash your hair as it erodes the natural oils, strips off the moisture and makes your hair dry.
- Try not to wash your hair every day. Wash it alternate days so your hair gets time to re-generate its natural oils that are essential for it to retain its natural quality.
3. Styling your hair
- Before styling your hair, it is important to use a leave-in conditioner/serum that will moisturize your hair and reduce frizz. Apply a few drops of the TRESemmé Pro Pure Damage Recovery Hair Serum to slightly damp hair. The serum helps repair damaged hair and lends lustre to your dull locks. It also helps your hair recover from early signs of damage.
- Applying leave-in conditioners evenly through your hair, before using blow dryers and straighteners helps reduce hair damage that these devices tend to cause.
- When using styling devices do not exceed 180 degrees of temperature as it can destroy the natural cuticle and keratin of your hair.
- Get regular trims for your hair. Try to trim your tresses every 6 to 8 weeks to avoid split ends and frizz.
4. Vitamin-E-rich foods
- Consume Vitamin E-rich foods like broccoli, spinach and nuts as Vitamin E stimulates the oxygen intake and boosts blood circulation to your scalp thus giving you healthy, happy hair.
- Remember to have eggs every alternate day as they are rich in protein and zinc both of which nourish your hair and help get rid of split ends naturally.
- Avocados, tomatoes, curd are all rich in omega-3 fats, vitamins and antioxidants that help your hair stay in good health thus preventing split ends.
5. Use hair friendly accessories
Tight elastic bands with metal parts and metal clips cause hair damage. Instead opt for scrunchies and ribbons to make sure your hair is treated gently. Also make sure you protect your hair while sleeping. Braid your hair loosely or tie it up in a bun while sleeping to avoid hair tangling or use a silk pillow.
FAQs about How to Get Rid of Split Ends Definitely
What are split ends and what causes them?
Split ends, also known as trichoptilosis, are frayed or split ends of the hair shaft. They are caused by damage to the hair shaft, which can be caused by a variety of factors such as heat styling, chemical treatments, and mechanical damage from brushing, brushing, or brushing.
How do I know if I have split ends?
Split ends are usually visible to the naked eye and can be identified by looking for frayed or split ends on the hair. You can also feel for split ends by running your fingers through your hair and feeling for rough or jagged edges on the ends of your hair.
Can split ends be repaired?
Unfortunately, split ends cannot be repaired. Once the hair shaft is damaged, it cannot be restored to its original condition. The only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off.