Fruits are always good. Not just for your system, but for your skin as well. They make you feel fresh inside out and the glow is visible on the skin. One such fruit is kiwi. Kiwi fruit benefits for the skin are many and we are going to address all of those in this article.
Fruits enhance skin health in the best possible manner. Not just by way of internally healing the entire body and helping the nutrients do their job, but also upon topical application. That’s exactly how kiwi fruit benefits for the skin also work.
So let’s take a look at how this yummy fruit helps take care of our skin and gives it the right glow.
Information about kiwi fruit
Before we start with kiwi fruit's benefits for the skin, let’s understand the fruit better. This fruit is actually in the form of edible berries. These berries are extracted from the woody vines of the Actinidia genus category of plants. Kiwi fruit is also called Actinidia deliciosa. This actually originated in China and dates back to the 1600s. Do you know that the original name of kiwi was ‘yang tao’? Yes, and it was named so because of its high taste value by the Chinese.
What does a kiwi fruit look like?
It is usually oval-shaped with a diameter of around 5cm and a length that varies between 5 and 8cm. Its skin is dark green in colour and it has golden yellow or light green flesh. Even the dark row of small black seeds can be consumed. Kiwi is known for its unique smell and ultra-soft texture. It can sometimes have hair on its surface too.
Kiwi fruit nutrition facts
What makes kiwi fruit benefits for the skin so valuable? Its nutritional value. It is an important source of many nutrients that are not just good when it comes to consuming the fruit, but also when used as part of a recipe for face masks and other topical applications.
Kiwi is a rich source of vitamins A, C and E. In fact, vitamin C in kiwi is important in the formation of collagen which helps increase the elasticity of the skin and also helps in strengthening the tissues and joints.
Another nutrient which is found in kiwi is a high omega 3 fatty acids content. It contributes towards making the skin soft, supple and bouncy. Kiwi fruit also contains proteins, sodium, sugar, calcium, vitamin E and iron.
Overall, the nutritional value of kiwi helps protect the skin against various external aggressors. It also helps enhance the glow from within.
Kiwi fruit benefits for the skin
Kiwi fruit benefits for the skin are many. From preventing premature ageing to helping close pores, heal acne and reduce oiliness, the fruit can do wonders for your skin in one form or the other. Let’s take a closer look at all these benefits.
1. Prevents degeneration
Degeneration of skin is one serious issue which may often happen due to overexposure to sunlight. If you are someone who has to be out in the sun for a long time, make it a habit to continuously consume kiwi. The vitamins present in kiwis are antioxidants that counter the effect of free radicals. Eating kiwi helps protect against these free radicals and it also makes the skin better.
2. Brightens the skin
Daily pollution, stress and other factors make your skin dull. Consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables helps you get back your skin’s vibrancy and bounce. Kiwi fruit can help you here. Of course, lemon masks and cucumber masks are more popular when it comes to even-toning or brightening the skin, but kiwi masks are a brilliant option as well. Kiwi is rich in vitamin E which helps in perking up dull skin and brightening it. It also has enough antioxidants that help prevent the build-up of dead skin cells. It also helps stimulate the skin and escalates new cell generation in the skin. The vitamin C present also helps in the formation of collagen that ensures the skin is younger and plumper.
- The best way to do it is by first mashing up the kiwi fruit.
- Next, apply it all over your face and neck in massaging motions and let sit for around 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Do it every day and you will notice a considerable difference in your skin.
3. Reduces pores
No one likes open pores. Not only do they look weird and make your overall skin appear dull, but they also attract dirt, making your skin look all the more unhealthy. Kiwis can help you here.
- Use warm water to first clean your face well.
- Mash a kiwi in a blender and then apply it on your face.
- Let it sit for around 20 minutes and then wash it off.
- A quick tip? Use cold water mixed with ice cubes to wash it off.
- It will close the pores and tighten up the skin, at the same time locking the kiwi nourishment in.
- Do it regularly at night.
4. Moisturises the skin
If you suffer from dull and dry skin that is rough to touch, kiwis can come to your rescue. The vitamin E and antioxidants present in the fruit ensure that the skin gets enough nourishment and hydration that takes care of any dryness that is there. Also, the omega-3 fatty acids help in making the skin soft and supple.
- The best way to do it is by using a kiwi and olive oil face pack.
- All you need to do is take a mashed kiwi and add a spoon of olive oil and one egg to it.
- Mash it all well to make a paste and then apply it evenly over your face and neck.
- Let it sit for half an hour and then wash it off.
- Again, apply this every night before going to bed for best results.
5. Removes acne
Suffering from acne prone skin? Kiwi fruit benefits for skin also ensure that your skin is cleared up of any acne present, leaving behind mark-free skin. But the best way to do it is by mixing kiwi with a few other effective ingredients.
- Take one mashed kiwi and add a spoon of lemon juice to it.
- Apply it on cleansed face, but only on the area that is affected by acne.
- Let it dry for around half an hour before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Do it for three days and you’ll notice the difference.
- The acne will be visibly reduced and the scars will fade away.
6. Reduces oiliness
Kiwi fruit benefits for skin not only help in getting rid of acne, but in balancing the oiliness of the skin as well. Oily skin and acne complement each other. Obviously, tackling one can tackle the other too. Only, the treatment is different.
- You’ll need one mashed kiwi and about three tablespoons of honey.
- Mix the two together to form a paste and then apply on the face and neck area. Let it sit until it dries.
- Wash it with warm water.
7. Prevents premature ageing
Premature ageing is a very common scenario now. Thanks to our stressful routines and the external aggressors that include pollution, eating habits amidst other things, we are greying at a much faster rate. Kiwi fruit can help tackle premature ageing with its high vitamin C content that also helps in the production of collagen thus helping maintain the skin’s elasticity and reversing the signs of ageing.
Written by Kadambari Srivastava on Aug 06, 2021
A finance professional by degree who jumped into the world of content creation 7 years ago, Kadambari is a pro at spinning words, whether it's beauty, business, entertainment, or anything else. Better separate your 'its' from 'it's' when she is around. When she isn't writing, she can be seen with a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other, keeping up with her book challenge of the year.