Most often than not, beauty trends are all about introducing a new product to your skincare routine or learning a new makeup technique. But the latest Instagram trend – Skin fasting is the exact opposite of that. It basically embraces the concept of taking a break from your regular skincare routine and giving your skin time to breathe and function naturally.
Experts believe taking away skin care aides for a few days allows your skin to work more effectively as it gets the time to detoxify. This trend has found many takers because, it allows you to procrastinate, saves a few bucks and it might just work. But before you jump on to the idea, here’s everything you need to know.
Should you try a skin fast?
It is believed that our skin has the ability to take care of itself naturally, when given the chance to do so. The purpose is to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier that gets weakened due to regular use of skincare products. Having said that, if you have a found a skincare routine that is finally working showing results, we suggest you continue with it. Because skin fasting might work for certain skin types, it might not always work for everyone. In fact hampering with the routine by taking a break might invite a new set of problems.
How to do a skin fast effectively?
For those who want to give this trend a try to see if it works for you, here’s a step by step guide to doing it effectively.
- Wash your face thoroughly at night.
- Sleep one night a week without applying any skincare products.
- The next morning wash your face with just lukewarm water to keep the natural oils intact.
- Keep drinking plenty of water during the day. Remember hydration is the key to a healthy body and skin.
Skin fasting dos and don’ts
- Do make sure that the humidity level in your room is proper, especially during winter or if you live in a cold region.
- Do it only once a week not more than that.
- Don’t skin fast if you have a skin condition and you’re undergoing a treatment. Also avoid it if you recently got a chemical peel.
- Don’t do it if your skin doesn’t feel good after the first attempt.