Experiencing dried or chapped lips? Or do you suddenly find your fingers involuntarily picking your lips even though you’ve promised yourself to stop this bad habit? With lips being one of the most sensitive parts of your skin, you need to take the utmost care by pampering them. They also do not have any nourishing glands, which means lips need all of the help they can get to appear soft and plump. One easy way is to simply apply lip balm throughout the day. Well, let’s take a look at how to make and use a lip balm.
How to make lip balm at home
Do you love DIY home treatments and quick 5-minute fixes? Well, you’re in the right place. While there are numerous effective chapsticks available, there are several easy ways to make lip balms with natural ingredients and oils easily available if you like to take up a challenge.
You will need a clean and empty container, bowl, beeswax, natural oils of your own choice like coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, and a vitamin E capsule. A cool and soothing essential oil like vanilla, peppermint or lavender is optional if you want to add a nice scent to your lip balm. Stay away from pungent essential oils like cinnamon, eucalyptus and clove which can irritate chapped lips.
- Using the double boiler method and low flame, halfway melt a tablespoon of beeswax in a bowl. Alternatively, you can microwave it for 30 seconds.
- Add a tablespoon of the different types of oils you have chosen to the melted beeswax. Cut open a vitamin E capsule, and empty its content into the mix as well. Add a few drops of essential oil if you want fragrance.
- Mix the contents of the bowl well till there are no lumps. Then pour it into the empty container. Let it cool and your DIY lip balm is ready.
How to make tinted lip balm with Vaseline
Have you ever wanted a tinted lip balm but couldn’t find the right shade? Here’s how to make DIY tinted lip balm at home with Vaseline. Vaseline has been an age-old remedy for soothing chapped lips and can easily be used to custom make your own lip balm in less than five minutes.
You will need a clean and empty container, bowl, Vaseline jelly and lipstick or blush of your favourite shade.
- Take a spoonful of Vaseline and put it in the bowl. Add flakes of the blush or lipstick whose shade you want to add to the lip balm and mix it well with the Vaseline.
- Microwave the bowl for 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can heat it over a low flame using the double boiler method till the ingredients melt.
- Pour the melted ingredients into the clean and empty container and let it cool. Voila, you’re done!
FAQs on how to make lip balm
1) What is a necessary ingredient for DIY lip balms?
You will need a thickener to give your lip balm that waxy consistency. You can either use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly or beeswax to make the base of your lip balm.
2) Is a lip balm enough protection for my lips?
Remember, that along with your skin, your lips also require sun protection. This is why you need sunscreen and lip balm when you are out in the sun. Before heading out, you can also opt for a lip balm and sunscreen combo like the Lakme Lip Love which has SPF 15 protecting your lips from UV rays and also nourishing at the same time.
3) How do I add colour to lip balm?
While making the lip balm, add flakes of blush or lipstick to add colour. Refer to the article above on how to go about it.
4) Can a DIY lip balm treat chapped lips?
The ingredients you use in making your lip balm play a major role in treating your lips. Vitamin E capsules are almost always recommended as they heal the skin. Natural oils like coconut oil, almond oil and jojoba oil further moisturise and keep your lips from drying.