Part of adulting includes washing your makeup brushes, girls. Yes, I know you didn’t want to hear that, but if you’re a makeup lover, we can’t stress enough the importance of keeping your makeup tools and brushes clean and sanitised. Just like bad makeup products can irritate your skin, dirty makeup brushes can cause breakouts and other skin issues.
Even if you don’t share your makeup brushes with your BFF or sister, it is essential to clean them once a week or at least every fortnight to get rid of build-up, bacteria and dirt.
While there are a lot of readily available makeup brush cleansers in the market, these might have chemicals, which if not washed off properly can cause skin problems. So, to make the process easy, affordable and instant, we’ve found a DIY spray cleanser that will eliminate the need for washing.
You will need:
- 50 ml hot water
- 1 teaspoon hair conditioner
- 50 ml rubbing alcohol
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Travel size spray bottle
Step 1: Mix the hot water and conditioner in a bowl and stir until the conditioner dissolves properly.
Step 2: Now add the rubbing alcohol, tea tree essential oil and mix well.
Step 3: Transfer this to the spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle before use. Spray enough mixture on your brushes and wipe them with a tissue.
- If you notice product build-up dissolving and coming off onto the tissue, spray the liquid once again and wipe off.
- Once the brushes have dried off, you can use them again.
- Storing it in a spray bottle makes it convenient to use, especially while travelling.
Note: This is only a quick-fix solution for when you’re short on time or are travelling. Make sure to thoroughly wash your brushes every once in a while to protect yourself from unwanted skin problems.
Image courtesy: Pinterest