Applying a face mask is one of the most relaxing and refreshing skincare activities to indulge in. Clay masks, in particular, are a blessing for when your skin is feeling greasy and needs some pampering. It draws out impurities from the skin and absorbs excess oil to keep you looking squeaky clean and fresh.
Rich in minerals and acids, here’s how using a clay mask can benefit your skin...
- Benefits of using a clay mask
- How to use a clay mask?
- What precautions should you take when using a clay mask?
- FAQs about clay mask
Benefits of using a clay mask
Here are some ways a clay mask can benefit your skin!
1. Controls excess oil and shine
Our skin comes in contact with several aggressors daily, and regular cleansing only removes surface dirt. Using clay masks such as the Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance Mineral Clay Mask few times a week ensures squeaky clean and smooth skin. It also unclogs the pores and keeps excess shine at bay. Those with oily and acne-prone skin can benefit from this mask as it absorbs excess oil and shine while drawing out deep-set impurities that usually cause breakouts.
2. Calms the skin
Masking requires the least efforts and yet offers an at-home spa-worthy experience. Most clay masks use gentle and calming clays such as bentonite that soothe the skin and keep irritation at bay. Bentonite clay masks can be easily found in the market and are one of the gentlest skincare ingredients, making them suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. So, the next time you wish to calm your irritated skin, simply apply a clay mask, place a few slices of chilled cucumber on your eyelids and enjoy the calming benefits.
3. Brightens skin
Dull and lifeless skin is a result of lack of proper exfoliation and build-up of dirt on the surface of the skin. Applying a face mask for just 10 minutes -- a few times a week -- can improve your complexion and make the skin look brighter. Look for a face mask with kaolin and bentonite to address dull skin woes. Dermalogica Sebum Clearing Masque is an excellent product for anyone looking to get rid of dull and tired-looking skin.
4. Refines pores
Everyone has pores, but for some women, they appear more significant than others. Clay masks can refine the pores and make them appear smaller. By absorbing the excess oil from the skin, it makes your skin appear matte, and pores look smaller.
How to use a clay mask?
The results you get from using a clay mask are unparalleled, but that’s only if you use it correctly! If you apply the mask correctly and remove it properly, you’ll be left with squeaky clean skin. Here is the right way to use a clay mask:
- First, begin with cleansing your face. It will remove the dirt and impurities from the face, thus giving you a clean base to start with.
- Next, apply the clay mask on your face evenly. You can use your hands or an old foundation brush to spread the mask evenly on your face. Make sure you apply it in a way that it forms a thin layer.
- Sit back and relax for 10-15 minutes. Let the mask work its magic on your face.
- After 10-15 minutes, when the mask feels firm on your face, it’s an indication to take it off.
- Wet a washcloth with lukewarm water and use it to wipe the clay mask off your face. Wipe off well, so no residue remains on your face.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel and apply a water-based moisturiser on your face. And that’s all! Once this is done, your face should feel rejuvenated.
What precautions should you take when using a clay mask?
While using a clay mask is beneficial for the skin, there are some things you must keep in mind before using one so that you reap the benefits:
- Just as it is with other skin products, when choosing a clay mask, keep your skin type and condition in mind. All clays differ in properties and texture, so pick one that suits your skin and addresses your skin concerns.
- Never apply a clay mask on your face without cleansing it first.
- Do not apply a thick layer of the mask on your face in one go; it may end up looking cakey.
- Don’t apply the clay mask on your neck if it is oily or if you have acne.
- The skin around your lips and the undereye area is super delicate, so do not apply the clay mask there at all as it may dry it out.
- Do not let the clay mask dry completely, as it can absorb moisture from the skin and leave it dry. In 10-15 minutes, when the mask starts getting dry and changes colour, wash it off.
- When rinsing off your clay mask, do not hurry. If you do not rinse the mask properly, it may lead to clogged pores on your face, making your skin feel itchy. Remove every trace of the clay mask from your face.
- Using a clay mask on a regular basis may leave your skin dry, so check instructions on the packaging about its use.
FAQs about clay mask
Q. How many times a week should you do a clay mask for oily acne blemished skin?
A. If you have oily and acne-prone skin, a clay mask works well to unclog pores and remove excess oil. Use it two to three times a week, but each time you use it, make sure you don’t keep it on your face for more than 10-15 minutes.
Q. How long should I leave on my clay mask?
A. Like other masks, a clay mask is most effective when you don’t let it dry completely. Leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes, no more than that. Leaving it on your face for more than that can dry out your skin, thus defeating your purpose of using it.
Q. Is multani mitti a clay mask?
A. Yes, multani mitti is natural clay. Known as bentonite clay, multani mitti can be used as a clay mask.